New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Full Format And Install OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerryho

jerryho is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've been a PC/Windows user for over 20 years and just go an iMAC this weekend... I'm loving every bit of it.

I've spent some time over the weekend and during the week playing within OS X. I've installed Boot-Camp (on a seperate bootable drive) as well as parallels.

I wanted to find out how I can "start over the machine from scatch" and do a full format of all of the hard disk partitions and re-install OS-X. In other words, how do I wipe out everything and start again?

I tried to install the OS-X CDs within OS-X, it re installs, but my old programs are still there after I'm done..... please help.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

you will have to choose erase & install at the time of reinstalling ...please make sure you have any/all important data backed up...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Boot from the disc and find Disk Utility from under one of the the menu bar options on top. Select the drive and erase any partitions and create a new one. Then go back to OS X setup and select the Erase & Install option.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« zero out Mac without install disc? Help please | 10.5 on External Drive, not working? »