New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - problems with Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mass0234

mass0234 is on a distinguished road

I installed Leopard on my Macbook (that is less than a year old) just about two months ago, and since then I have had problems that are DRIVING me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are my problems:
1. The mouse periodically freezes, forcing me to restart. Occasionally, upon restart, the computer again freezes at the user page, and I have to once again restart.
2. Sometimes, Safari gives me an error page stating that it can't find the server for a particular web page. It does this for every page I go to during a particular period, which forces me to quit Safari, restart the airport (sometimes more than once), and then hold the return key down after I type in an address. After about 30 seconds, it finally finds the web page in question, and the browser works fine again. Even then, I sometimes have server errors with some web pages, and I have to open them in Netscape (my alternate browser of choice).
3. On some web pages that I used to be able to open in Safari, I am now not able to open because apparently my browser does not enable cookies. I checked the preferences, and it indicates that cookies ARE allowed for all web pages, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
4. I use Parallels Desktop (which allows me to open Windows within the Mac operating system, in case you don't know), but it requires me to type in an administrator password whenever I start or stop the Windows operating system. Is there any way to disable this requirement?
5. The system time often changes itself seemingly overnight. For example, as I'm writing this, the time in the menu bar says it's 12:17 PM when it's really 5:17 PM. Then, tomorrow, when I wake my computer from sleep, the time will magically be correct again. The system time is automatically updated by Apple (I think), so I'm not sure why it would do this.

Just wanted to mention that I DO often restart my computer, because I was concerned that that may be the reason I'm having so many problems with the computer staying on too long without being given time to rest, but I still have problems.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

I'd start with using Disk Utility. (applications/utilities) Run the Repair Permissions and Verify disk. Repairing permissions in Leopard can take awhile, so be patient.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And of course you have updated to OS X.5.2?

There have been a numb er of reports a system upgrade cause some of these problems. Did you go that way or a clean install?
QUOTE Thanks
mass0234

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And of course you have updated to OS X.5.2?

There have been a numb er of reports a system upgrade cause some of these problems. Did you go that way or a clean install?
Yes, I have updated to OS X 5.2, and the problems continue.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Question was if you upgraded Tiger to Leopard or did a clean erase and install. Sorry about misunderstanding.
QUOTE Thanks
mass0234

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Question was if you upgraded Tiger to Leopard or did a clean erase and install. Sorry about misunderstanding.
sorry. I simply upgraded, and did not do clean erase and install.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

If things do not get any better consider the erase and install as there are a lot of reported problems with upgrades.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Postfix to Relay through GMail | New Mac User:Clean Install? »