New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Grey Boxes on Menu Items (Not Accessibility)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SureShot

SureShot is on a distinguished road

I really hope this isn't a repeat question that has been asked a million times. I did use the search but I came up empty. Maybe I didn't word it correctly?

Either way, I'm having grey boxes show up on all my menu items in all the programs I use. It seems to have started since the last graphic update but that's not to say I may not have noticed the day before or something. I have attached a picture of exactly what I'm talking about.

I have a new Mac Pro - 2x3 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 800MHz, 4GB of Ram, Dual Displays - in case you needed to know the specs.

My first kick at it is the video card, but nothing else seems to be messing up too much. Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks very much! I'm sorry my first post on this site is a tech support question.
Attached Images
File Type: png greyboxes.png (379.6 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

You don't have ShapeShifter or anything like that installed? It looks like some kind of theming/drawing problem. It does that on EVERY app?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
SureShot

No, I do not have "ShapeShifter" installed, I'm not even sure what that program is

When I say every app, I mean the entire adobe suite and the Microsoft Office 2008 suite. As for the other programs, I haven't really had much time to test as I don't really use anything other Firefox, CS3 Suite, Office Suite and Cocktail.

It's also only in certain windows. For instance in Photoshop, when I go to "File, Open" everything looks fine. As soon as I use "File, New' and the properties box opens, that's when I see the issues.

This all seems very strange...
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

Do you ever shut down your mac? I get a lot of problems with my Dock not displaying properly sometimes when I've left my computer on for a while.

Anyway, it's worth a try rebooting.
QUOTE Thanks
SureShot

I shut my Mac down almost every night before I head home from work. But thank you for trying

I was really hoping this was a simple problem to solve
QUOTE Thanks
anil_kumar

anil_kumar is on a distinguished road

You can turn off voice over under universal Access.
I hope that your problem solved....

Anil,
Singapore
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

The more I use CS3 with my new Mac with Leopard I've been finding lots of bugs. Though you say it happens with Office too, so maybe it's a Leopard issue. Hopefully things will get better with the next update.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_kumar View Post
You can turn off voice over under universal Access.
I hope that your problem solved....

Anil,
Singapore
It's not VoiceOver, you can see the problem in his screenshots.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
SureShot

Thanks knightlie

So does anyone else happen to have any suggestions? I'm starting to go a little bit crazy here!
QUOTE Thanks
SureShot

And I have officially tried all things in the help thread and it still didn't help

I'm starting to think I might have really messed something up!

Does anyone know if there is a utility you can download that will clean print drivers from your machine?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disable splash on startup | Black Screen »