New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - 10.5 on External Drive, not working?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Haw-Ky

Haw-Ky is on a distinguished road

After installing on a WD external hard drive how do I make it my primary drive.

Chose the external as start-up disk but every time it restarts using the internal drive.

Even tried holding down (Option-Command-Shift-Delete).

After the chime I see a finder box with a question mark in it.
QUOTE Thanks
nclester

nclester is on a distinguished road

Is that hard drive set to primary, or slave? You might need to pop the case off the external and set the "jumper" to primary.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's a software or preferences issue. I'd wait for a few more responses before pulling your external apart.

I simply prefer the darkness

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

External drives will not boot all Macs, for in stance PowerMac G4 will not boot. USB 2.0 is not always fast enough to boot either. Do you wish to format internal HDD, and copy information and OS from external? If so use SuperDuper or some such application.
QUOTE Thanks
Haw-Ky

Haw-Ky is on a distinguished road

I have a IMac G5, 180 gb hard drive, the external is a My Book Studio Edition 320 gb connected using a firewire. After installing 10.5 I wanted to migrate everything over to the external and use the internal as the backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

try carbon copy cloner. I just bought a new internal drive, cloned the current one to my external drive and then replaced the internal. When ccc is used it makes the destination drive bootable, allowing you to use the internal drive for backup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Full Format And Install OS X | Screen question »