New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - OS X Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

molder

molder is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to macs, but got my friends old Powerbook G4. I wanted to reformat it and had to buy the discs for the OS (as the apple store didn't have what I needed). The guy told me it was the first G4 that was made (around late 2002/early 2003) and that I would need Panther 10.3. Currently it has 10.2.8 loaded on it. He told me to look on ebay and I bought Panther 10.3.7. When I try to install it, it says "Bundled software cannot be installed on this machine." Does anybody know why this is the case or what I can do/which OS I can get to make this work? The only visible requirements for Panther to me I meet (I have 768mb ram). Any help I would GREATLY appreciate!
QUOTE Thanks
molder

So I THINK it is because I need the retail discs, and that is NOT what I have. If this is so, what OS do you recommend upgrading to that this will support? It says A1025 on the back and is the first Powerbook G4 Titanium.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Yes... your problem is that you got discs bundled for a specific computer.

10.3 is a good OS for the PowerBook G4 (I use it myself still on mine), but compatible software is getting harder to find. Most software that gets updated require 10.4 or better. Since you are just getting started with Macs, I'd recommend going straight to Tiger so you have less trouble finding what you need. Your laptop is compatible with Tiger according to Apple's own page, so be sure to buy a retail version this time.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Make sure you buy the full retail install discs, which are black colored and not the grey model specific only System, Restore discs. Tiger would be the go and suggest 1GB RAM .
QUOTE Thanks
molder

Thanks everybody!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading to OS X | Hard Disk Icon has disappeared! HELP! »