New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Sofware Updates messed things up.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

truckertaff

truckertaff is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac osx 10.4.11 Powerbook G4

Just over a week ago i was sent 2 updates...a security update and fixes for 10.4.11....but something strange happened..Only the security update installed and the other one showed warning signs saying it couldnt be installed and it crashed...or something like that anyway. However,the point i'm trying to make here is that after that some of my applications won't start...Safari,mail,Itunes and ichat...the rest are ok..well just so happens they are the ones i don't use. I can't get my head around the fact that i'm being sent fixes...that are doing the opposite. I'm using camino for browsing at the moment and i got no itunes which i use all the time. Any ideas anyone?
Ps This is my first post and by the looks of things won't be my last either lol.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to Mac Forums.

What do you mean 'sent'? Presume you mean you went to Software Update and downloaded them? Pop your Tiger install DVD into the optical drive, boot holding down 'C' and go to Utilities>Disk Utility>select startup and run Repair Disk.

If this works okay, then run Repair Permissions a couple of times. If you still have problems you may have to do a clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
truckertaff

truckertaff is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac osx 10.4.11 Powerbook G4

Thanx Harry..nice to meet you I havent actually done anything yet about your suggestions...i'm wondering if i do a clean install whether i'll need alot of space on my hard drive..which is nearly full...and also will i lose stuff...not everything is backed up. Also i been wondering if the next updates will resolve the issue..i'm pretty sure it wasnt just me that was sent a load of rubbish...i'm really annoyed and will be reluctant to update any more. Just one other thing..i ain't that technically minded and will probably make things worse..duh! lol
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If it aint backed up you will lose it on an install when everything, everything, on the drive is wiped. If your HDD is 'nearly full' this could be the problem as drives need 20% free to operate at their peek. You do need to check the drive to make sure it is operating correctly.

If it is just full, get a larger HDD and use the current drive in a Firewire box as an external and do your backing up on that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do i do restore my computer? | Leopard Crash/Grey screen »