Thread: super-freezing

Unhappy super-freezing
    Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help with my strange problem. Basically I have an ibook G4 running Tiger, plenty of disk space, not had any probs with it before, but suddenly it keeps crashing every time I turn it on. I mean complete screen freeze, and the command-option-escape force quit does nothing.

The strange thing is if I leave it off for an extended period of time, it will turn on and work fine for about 10 minutes before freezing. But if I switch it off after a freeze and then straight back on a minute later, it won't even fully boot up before crashing (get the blue screen but no grey box with my user name and password thing). So this makes me think it must be a hardware problem, maybe something to do with the processor overloading. Though I'm pretty computer illiterate, so that's pretty much pure guesswork.

Last time it worked was for several hours while playing quite a high-tech game (football manager 2008 if you're interested) and I've not installed anything new since then. Not even used the internet since then in fact.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about this, I'd love to hear them. If you need any more info about what i'm using, let me know.

Nick

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Firstly pop in your install Tiger install DVD, boot holding down 'C' and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility. If all is clear then run Repair Permissions. If you are still having problems use Apple Hardware Test which will probably be on disc 2 of your System restore discs. AHT full check will make sure logic board, memory, video card etc are all working correctly.

Let's know how you are going after that.

Specs:
    17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
    Just going on the fact that it works a little longer after you leave it for a bit, is there a chance it is overheating? Perhaps it's cooling down in this time. Do all the fans seem to be working?

thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home for about a month, so will have to wait to try re-booting with the CD. I do have my old discs from my original software (osX v10.3) in my laptop bag though. Will those work, or does it need to be Tiger?

As for the fans, I wouldn't have a clue if they're working properly or not. They are definitely on when it starts up, because they make the usual noise, but they seem to stop when it freezes. But the computer doesn't feel hot underneath. Perhaps I'll have to take it to a shop to find out if they're the problem.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    You need Tiger.

i would say it is probably overheating. i recommend buying a laptop stand that has one or two fans underneath it. you can buy these online or at a store where computer accessories are sold, it won't take too much money out of your wallet. if all else fails, do a *fresh* install of Tiger, put all your necessary documents and things on a flash drive or CD, format the hard disk, and completely re-install Panther or Tiger. if it crashes again after a fresh install i would then say it is something wrong with the hardware (overheating most likely)
    2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch

same problem same system, please help, doing disc now

The disk did not work, but the fans were on the whole time, so it was not heat, any other suggestions? if not, how much do you think it will sell for in parts?

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Nobody's mentioned RAM failure, and it can cause the "freezing" referred to. Check the RAM sticks in your machine, pull them out, reinsert them, swap them over, whatever, just make sure they're reseated firmly. Then reset the PRAM.

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    Hi, I've been investigating a similar problem on my iBook G4, see http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ible-cure.html .

The link to the free version of G4FanControl still works.
    My iBook is still stable though a little noisy at times, using 45 degrees C for sensors 1 / 2 and 43 C for sensor 3 which is the GPU.
    Bear in mind here this is just a workaround for something which might eventually worsen and completely kill your machine, so I am doing regular backups with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hugh
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Warning - this user has only a little knowledge

Thread Information