New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - super-freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_1298

nick_1298 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help with my strange problem. Basically I have an ibook G4 running Tiger, plenty of disk space, not had any probs with it before, but suddenly it keeps crashing every time I turn it on. I mean complete screen freeze, and the command-option-escape force quit does nothing.

The strange thing is if I leave it off for an extended period of time, it will turn on and work fine for about 10 minutes before freezing. But if I switch it off after a freeze and then straight back on a minute later, it won't even fully boot up before crashing (get the blue screen but no grey box with my user name and password thing). So this makes me think it must be a hardware problem, maybe something to do with the processor overloading. Though I'm pretty computer illiterate, so that's pretty much pure guesswork.

Last time it worked was for several hours while playing quite a high-tech game (football manager 2008 if you're interested) and I've not installed anything new since then. Not even used the internet since then in fact.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about this, I'd love to hear them. If you need any more info about what i'm using, let me know.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Firstly pop in your install Tiger install DVD, boot holding down 'C' and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility. If all is clear then run Repair Permissions. If you are still having problems use Apple Hardware Test which will probably be on disc 2 of your System restore discs. AHT full check will make sure logic board, memory, video card etc are all working correctly.

Let's know how you are going after that.
QUOTE Thanks
clint1986

clint1986 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

Just going on the fact that it works a little longer after you leave it for a bit, is there a chance it is overheating? Perhaps it's cooling down in this time. Do all the fans seem to be working?
QUOTE Thanks
nick_1298

nick_1298 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home for about a month, so will have to wait to try re-booting with the CD. I do have my old discs from my original software (osX v10.3) in my laptop bag though. Will those work, or does it need to be Tiger?

As for the fans, I wouldn't have a clue if they're working properly or not. They are definitely on when it starts up, because they make the usual noise, but they seem to stop when it freezes. But the computer doesn't feel hot underneath. Perhaps I'll have to take it to a shop to find out if they're the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You need Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
rianm7

rianm7 is on a distinguished road

i would say it is probably overheating. i recommend buying a laptop stand that has one or two fans underneath it. you can buy these online or at a store where computer accessories are sold, it won't take too much money out of your wallet. if all else fails, do a *fresh* install of Tiger, put all your necessary documents and things on a flash drive or CD, format the hard disk, and completely re-install Panther or Tiger. if it crashes again after a fresh install i would then say it is something wrong with the hardware (overheating most likely)

2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
micahh

micahh is on a distinguished road

same problem same system, please help, doing disc now
QUOTE Thanks
micahh

micahh is on a distinguished road

The disk did not work, but the fans were on the whole time, so it was not heat, any other suggestions? if not, how much do you think it will sell for in parts?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Nobody's mentioned RAM failure, and it can cause the "freezing" referred to. Check the RAM sticks in your machine, pull them out, reinsert them, swap them over, whatever, just make sure they're reseated firmly. Then reset the PRAM.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Hi, I've been investigating a similar problem on my iBook G4, see G4 freezing problem and possible cure .

The link to the free version of G4FanControl still works.
My iBook is still stable though a little noisy at times, using 45 degrees C for sensors 1 / 2 and 43 C for sensor 3 which is the GPU.
Bear in mind here this is just a workaround for something which might eventually worsen and completely kill your machine, so I am doing regular backups with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fonts on my macbook pro | APIs to determine OS in mac..PLz help »