Software related Apparent Display Crack

Hi guys I have a 2.4ghz 15" Macbook pro. It started a few days ago. I have only used it like 3 or 4 times since then. Well, I just started it a few mintues ago, and when I started it, the botto, 2/3 of the screen looked cracked. But it wasnt colors. It was just shades of grey and black. But the whole 2/3 was covered, not just lines or areas. But it cleared up after a restart after in entered the desktop screen. Could an app be causing this? Or leopard? Any questions you guys have to help me out, please ask. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan611 View Post
    Hi guys I have a 2.4ghz 15" Macbook pro. It started a few days ago. I have only used it like 3 or 4 times since then. Well, I just started it a few mintues ago, and when I started it, the botto, 2/3 of the screen looked cracked. But it wasnt colors. It was just shades of grey and black. But the whole 2/3 was covered, not just lines or areas. But it cleared up after a restart after in entered the desktop screen. Could an app be causing this? Or leopard? Any questions you guys have to help me out, please ask. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
    It might just be a defective LCD or an overheating video card. Any chance you can snap a picture of it the next time it happens? A picture is worth a thousand words of course...

You might also want to run the Apple Hardware Test and see if that finds anything.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    AS CWA advises AHT is the go as it tests memory, logic board, graphics and pixels. Should be on one of your install DVD's.

Hey guys. So an update. The apple hardware manager could not find anything. So as I was loading it up this morning (I am typing on it right now and its fine), I was able to get a few quick pictures with my iphone. Hopefully this will help you guys help me. The pictures are attached. Thanks again guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    Hey guys. So an update. The apple hardware manager could not find anything. So as I was loading it up this morning (I am typing on it right now and its fine), I was able to get a few quick pictures with my iphone. Hopefully this will help you guys help me. The pictures are attached. Thanks again guys!
    During the time that the problem occurs, if you move your pointer up to the "good" part of the screen, does it actually move around? Can you manipulate the display, or is it apparently frozen?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    That looks like a faulty display, to me. Assuming the display isnt frozen as cwa suggests, try applying a bit of pressure around the edge of the display in case it's a loose joint or something.
    [URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

The display is not frozen. I can see the mouse move when the happens. However as I have been using this for the past hour or so, I have noticed that sometimes when display angle, it starts to happen but has some transparency and then goes away. So it probably is a faulty display. I bought this back in July 07. I purchased the extended apple care. Is the faulty display covered under apple care?

Specs:
    The display is not frozen. I can see the mouse move when the happens. However as I have been using this for the past hour or so, I have noticed that sometimes when display angle, it starts to happen but has some transparency and then goes away. So it probably is a faulty display. I bought this back in July 07. I purchased the extended apple care. Is the faulty display covered under apple care?
    This looks like a faulty flex cable to me. We recently encountered another post, with symptoms very similar to yours and that is indeed what the problem was. Take the pictures to your Apple Store and ask them to replace/check the flex cable.

Thread Information