Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   What to use for a FIND command? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/101917-what-use-find-command.html)

bdmsb 03-23-2008 01:37 PM

What to use for a FIND command?

Spotlight doesn't find certain things. For example, I want to locate and delete all files on my hard disk that end with ".vcf". But Spotlight won't find them. Is there some 3rd party utility that works like the old FIND command and will find any file?

D3v1L80Y 03-23-2008 01:57 PM

Command + F

webia 03-23-2008 01:59 PM

or if you're into the terminal business, type

find . -type f *.vcf

bdmsb 03-23-2008 02:03 PM

Command + F is no good. It doesn't find files that end with ".vcf" either. It was my understanding that Command-F just used the same Spotlight engine.

I can see files that end with ".vcf" in my email folder. For example, I can see a file with the name "njepsen.vcf". But if I COPY and PASTE that file name into Command-F and search for files whose "Name" "Is" "njepsen.vcf" on "Computer", it finds no hits.

bdmsb 03-23-2008 02:08 PM

I'm no expert with Terminal, but I typed "find . -type f *.vcf" into it and got the reply "find: *.vcf: unknown expression primary".

Anyway, I'm really not so keen on using Unix commands to find files. I just want an OS X "FIND" command that finds what I ask for. What's the logic behind excluding some results?

cwa107 03-23-2008 02:27 PM

Try EasyFind. It's a GUI-driven search utility that can find ANYTHING, even if it's a hidden (. file) or system directory.

I also remember reading a Macworld article that showed how to modify Spotlight to search for hidden and system files, but I'll be dipped if I can find that at the moment.

Even still EasyFind is a much better utility if you need to dredge an entire disk, file by file.

AlyciaAnimation 03-23-2008 05:25 PM

I was having the same problem. It seems to only be with Leopard cause I tested it on my Tiger machine and it finds all the files.

I gave up on spotlight for now and downloaded EasyFind and it works great.

Maybe I'll search on Macworld to see if I can find the article you were talking about cwa107. If you find it, please post it :) I'd rather use spotlight than have to open a new application.

dtravis7 03-23-2008 05:30 PM

I have had no issues finding anything using the Command+F find. I tried even in the email and other folders and it found everything I tried.

root 03-23-2008 09:46 PM

Standard UNIX find command is what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdmsb (Post 620018)
Spotlight doesn't find certain things. For example, I want to locate and delete all files on my hard disk that end with ".vcf". But Spotlight won't find them. Is there some 3rd party utility that works like the old FIND command and will find any file?

find / -name "*.vcf"

from the terminal will find all files that end in .vcf extension (starting at root of the filesystem). Look at the man page for find, you can construct more complex expressions and customize your search criteria further or execute a command on all files found etc.

If you also want to delete the files execute the following:

find / -name "*.vcf" -exec rm "{}" ";"

But be careful about this command since it will delete the files (not move them to trash) so they can't be recovered.

AlyciaAnimation 03-23-2008 10:40 PM

I'm so happy, I finally found a solution to my problem. Here's that article on MacWorld on how to search all system files!

http://www.macworld.com/article/6071...syssearch.html

I hope it helps other people too :)

cwa107 03-23-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlyciaAnimation (Post 620311)
I'm so happy, I finally found a solution to my problem. Here's that article on MacWorld on how to search all system files!

http://www.macworld.com/article/6071...syssearch.html

I hope it helps other people too :)

Nice find, that's the one I was talking about. Not sure what keywords you used, but I couldn't find it in 10 minutes or so of searching.

bdmsb 03-23-2008 11:12 PM

I followed the directions in the Macworld article, but I don't get the option of choosing "System Files".

I'll try EasyFind.

dtravis7 03-23-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 620313)
Nice find, that's the one I was talking about. Not sure what keywords you used, but I couldn't find it in 10 minutes or so of searching.

Yeah that is what I had been using also. Been a while as I rarely search for System files. Works well though.

AlyciaAnimation 03-23-2008 11:46 PM

@bdmsb

In the find window where there is the drop down that says "kind" by default click on that and select "other.." and a butt load of other options will pop up. Find "system files" in the list. You can check the check mark so it shows up in the drop down menu without having to go to "other.." in the future.

bdmsb 03-24-2008 12:14 AM

Did that. The first item in the list is "Album" and the last item is "Year recored" but there is no "System files".