New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - What to use for a FIND command?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmsb View Post
Did that. The first item in the list is "Album" and the last item is "Year recored" but there is no "System files".
Check these pics. It's not the other next door to kind, it's the Kind menu drops down like this when you click then you select Other from there and a selector will open. That is the 2nd pic here. Scroll to the bottom and select System Files. Then look at my 3rd pic. Be sure to select Include.

If you look at the 2nd pic the In Menu checkbox he was talking about is there. Check that.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg search1.jpg (34.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg search2.jpg (45.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg search3.jpg (53.7 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bdmsb

bdmsb is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. But you have "System files" between "Subject" and "Tempo". On my machine (10.4.11) it's not there. Our two lists are similar, but with many differences.

But EasyFind works great. I doubt that "System files" would have found the ".vcf" files anyway, they're not "system". EasyFind located several dozen of them and let me delete them.
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

Well that's the problem, Spotlight on Tiger works differently than on Leopard. By default in Leopard spotlight doesn't search inside the library folder, which is why you would need to include system files on Leopard. Tiger already searches inside the library.

EasyFind is a great program too, so as long as you found a solution that works for you, that's the important thing.
QUOTE Thanks
bdmsb

See, now I don't get this. I hate it when the computer thinks it knows what I want to do better than I do. I don't understand the logic of a FIND command that doesn't find everything. In 2008 are we not supposed to need to search the library folder? This seems like a "dumbing down" of computer use that is unnecessary.

Anyway, the ".vcf" files are not System files nor are they in the Library folder. They're just annoying email attachments. The Apple FIND command still can't see them. And no one has an explanation for it.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If I remember correctly if you dp the following:

find / -name "*.vcf"

It appears that nothing happens, but if you add

find / -name "*.vcf" -print

You will see the file you are looking for. You may need to do the following thou.

sudo find / -name "*.vcf" -print

Also like root suggested if you want to just delete the files then

sudo find / - name "*.vcf" -exec rm -i {} \;

I added the -i option to enable prompting for each file to be deleted.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
bdmsb

You may find my reply exasperating. On the one hand I want more control over my computer, on the other hand I don't want to run it (or search) with a command line interface anymore! To me, this doesn't seem like too much to ask.

But the new format of the command you suggest gives me a lot of hits not found by EasyFind. Dozens of hits in fact. Most of them are "Permission denied" on files that don't seem to be ".vcf" files. This is the kind of result that makes a Terminal query seem excessively cumbersome. Here's the beginning of the results:

MacPro:~ bryan$ find / -name "*.vcf" -print
find: /.Spotlight-V100: Permission denied
find: /.Trashes: Permission denied
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/es.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/it.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/ja.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/nl.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
find: /Library/Logs/Console/502: Permission denied
find: /private/etc/cups/certs: Permission denied
find: /private/var/backups: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/dhcpclient: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/openldap/openldap-data: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/openldap/openldap-slurp: Permission denied
..... for several more screens .....
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
You may find my reply exasperating. On the one hand I want more control over my computer, on the other hand I don't want to run it (or search) with a command line interface anymore! To me, this doesn't seem like too much to ask.

But the new format of the command you suggest gives me a lot of hits not found by EasyFind. Dozens of hits in fact. Most of them are "Permission denied" on files that don't seem to be ".vcf" files. This is the kind of result that makes a Terminal query seem excessively cumbersome. Here's the beginning of the results:

MacPro:~ bryan$ find / -name "*.vcf" -print
find: /.Spotlight-V100: Permission denied
find: /.Trashes: Permission denied
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/es.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/it.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/ja.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Resources/nl.lproj/Older Release Notes.oo3/The Omni Group.vcf
find: /Library/Logs/Console/502: Permission denied
find: /private/etc/cups/certs: Permission denied
find: /private/var/backups: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/dhcpclient: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/openldap/openldap-data: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/openldap/openldap-slurp: Permission denied
..... for several more screens .....
You're getting permission denied because you're running the command under a limited account. To run it as an admin, preface the command with sudo. You'll be prompted for your administrator password and then it will touch every file, regardless of the degree of sensitivity.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bdmsb

Yep, that works. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Yep, that works. Thanks.
Oh, and to answer your other question - yes, it should be easier than this to get Spotlight to actually do a full search, other than just searching its own index. I had hoped that with Leopard, they would have enable an "advanced search" mode, and to some extent they did - but it's still pretty cumbersome to use.

I still use EasyFind, but I haven't ever done a search with it (given that I specified hidden and system files) that didn't return what I was looking for.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« login as root | a few Mail questions »