New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Dropping Network Connection In Sleep Mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pissdrunxmob

I am running OSX 10.3.4 and really want to know if there is any way to put my computer to sleep without dropping the network connection. My old 500 MHz iMac DV slot-loader is kinda loud at night but I'd really like to be able to keep it on and be able to sleep at the same time without losing the network. Also, is there a way to stop that incessant glowing orange light on the power button when it is in sleep mode? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I don't use a dialup, so this is totally a guess.

Does it disconnect as soon as it goes to sleep or does it disconnect becaues it times out?

If it times out check the settings at
System Preferences/Network/PPP/PPP Options

There is a setting for "Disconnect if idle for "xxx" minutes." It allows 999 to be entered… if that works it should give you a good nights rest.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Turn it off! :-D
Just kidding...

When your Mac is in deep sleep mode, it just holds enough power to keep the RAM powered (for a faster restart and to keep it's contents) and, as you pointed out, to make the powerlight pulsate. Allthough this looks kinda cool in the beginning, it's annoying if your Mac is in your sleeping room.

The whole system is down in deep sleep mode...so unfortunately, no network connection.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ???.crash | Disk Space Usage Wrong, Mirror Reports OK »