New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard 10.5.2: Customize mouse pointer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

root

root is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2.8 Ghz, 8 core, 2 GB RAM, 2TB HDs

Does anyone know how you can customize the mouse pointer in Leopard? I can't stand the black and white busy cursor (really low res style right from 1980s).

The busy cursors I'm talking about are the black and white stop watch and the busy cursor that looks like a normal black cursor with a black and white low res spinning ball next to it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Ordinarily, when a program under Mac OS X is busy, OS X will detect it and show the "spinning rainbow" or multicolored beachball pointer.

The wristwatch pointer is built into some applications which are older than Mac OS X. These programs take over the default pointer and show their own (the wristwatch.) Even if you did use a custom pointer, those programs would override it and replace it with the wristwatch. The only thing you can do is not use those programs (though many popular programs still do this.)

It may not be the shiniest, fanciest wait cursor in the world, but it's a piece of Macintosh history that does, indeed, date back to the 1980s.
QUOTE Thanks
root

root is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2.8 Ghz, 8 core, 2 GB RAM, 2TB HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Ordinarily, when a program under Mac OS X is busy, OS X will detect it and show the "spinning rainbow" or multicolored beachball pointer.

The wristwatch pointer is built into some applications which are older than Mac OS X. These programs take over the default pointer and show their own (the wristwatch.) Even if you did use a custom pointer, those programs would override it and replace it with the wristwatch. The only thing you can do is not use those programs (though many popular programs still do this.)

It may not be the shiniest, fanciest wait cursor in the world, but it's a piece of Macintosh history that does, indeed, date back to the 1980s.
I thought it would be hard to do this, since Google search didn't give me any clues. I've only had my first ever Mac 2 weeks, so I have a LOT to learn but it's fun to explore something new .
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

well yeah.....i've been bugged by those low res cursors as well....& also the hand cursor that comes up when i hover over a link...does look kinda old school...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

does anyone know how to make the current pointer larger?
QUOTE Thanks
MacRenegade

MacRenegade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
You can change its size in Universal Access in the System Preferences. The cursor does get kinda pixely though.

Breaking Benjamin | Korn | Three Days Grace | Seether | Chevelle | Dope | Adema | Rage Against The Machine | Limp Bizkit
QUOTE Thanks
xgman

xgman is on a distinguished road

bump - on any new ways to chnage leopard cursors or make them less jaggy if made larger? They do seem so 1980's
QUOTE Thanks
Leo6929

Leo6929 is on a distinguished road

does anyone know how i can turn the cursor white, i don't see the black so well
QUOTE Thanks
xgman

xgman is on a distinguished road

old school is an understatement. It's just plain butt ugly. Even my kid asked what's up with that ugly little cursor. Adding insult to injry, as mentioned above, enlarging it pixelates it even worse. We need something like Stardock CursorFX for leopard. This "Might Mouse" custom cursor program in the list below, worked pre-Leopard, but no beta yet. Maybe send him an email to encourage the development of a beta for Leopard.

http://www.unsanity.com/products/compatibility

Mac Pro - 8 core xeon 5462 (3.2ghz each) - 8GB ram - 8800GT - Dual boot leopard/vista Hitachi 7k1000's - Konnekt Live-Samsung HTAS720ST sound - Dell3007wfp
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
You can download Cursor Zoom X 1.0.4 if you want to enlarge or shrink the mouse. It adds its own preference pane.

If this doesn't answer your question, please let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo6929 View Post
does anyone know how i can turn the cursor white, i don't see the black so well
Look again, the Mac's curser is black with a white border and is visible on all colours.

OLD THREAD

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
dichterDichter

dichterDichter is on a distinguished road

there was a CoreGraphics Hack for 10.2 and 10.3. Because of CoreGraphics is now unicode, i cant find a solution to use this hack on the file.
it was replacing the spinning icon (or the normal pointer)
Code:
Diff file available here

apply with:

gunzip WaveWait.diff.gz
cp /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.bak
cp CoreGraphics.bak CoreGraphics.new
patch CoreGraphics.new < WaveWait.diff
# if that complains at all, see below
sudo cp CoreGraphics.new /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
OSX Cursors location found...

i tried to find the right hex part in the file to replace but... couldn´t find it.
so if someone knows how to extract or find picture information in a "Mach-O dynamically linked shared library" please tell me. for windows there are Tools like ResHacker which can extract and replace image files in exe and dll files. maybe there is something like that for osx. would be cool. and would be a solution
QUOTE Thanks
rhys

rhys is on a distinguished road

so it looks like it's impossible to change the cursor then? the mighty mouse software guy should update or someone else should get this sorted out.

i was expecting to be able to just go and replace a few little image files or something....

sux
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help with my OSX! Can't start up! | "Can't connect to internet"= FALSE »