New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Reformatting HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Banksy

Banksy is on a distinguished road

i recently bought a g5 IMAC off of ebay but the computer is set up as a network computer and i didnt recieve any disks for it either. As the computer had been used before i really just want to wipe the whole hd and start a fresh as a standalone computer. Imy mate gave an os x disk that works with works with the computer but when i try to boot from it it says MAC OS C 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine.

I put it down to the disk is 10.4.6 and the computer is 10.4.10???

Any help on an easy way to wipe everything or getting hold of some disks that will work?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You have borrowed some grey coloured disks of your friend - right?

They will only work on his model and will not install on yours

You need what is called a retail copy of either Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)

You should be able to get these off ebay, just make sure the disks you are buying are not grey coloured

Tiger disks

Leopard disks
QUOTE Thanks
Banksy

Banksy is on a distinguished road

The disk i got is off my mate was who a mac engineer and said that the disk is for all the aluminium g5 series but anyway mainly due to the update and your saying (not) the grey disks? looked at a few 10.4.10 disks but they are all the grey ones?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You will have to buy a retail copy of Tiger

You can then download the combo update from apple to get it to 10.4.11

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...updateppc.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with syncing on .mac | Leopard iso???? »