New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac Pro - Network Drive Shortcut on Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NeoGreen

NeoGreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.

Hello everyone...I need help. How to I create a shortcut of a Folder on a network drive on my desktop. I currently have a Mac Pro running Leopard. I tried draging it to my destkop but would just disappear. I also tried the Control/Alt and drag but it would just copy the whole folder to my desktop. Is there a way to create a shortcut or map the drive form my desktop to the drive? Please advise.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Try Make Alias and drag that icon to your desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

Thanks for the reply...where do I find Make Alias? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

right click on the drive and select Make alias

But I tend to just drag the disk in to the dock and keep the link there
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

That's strange....I right click on the drive but I dont' have the option to Make Alias.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Hold down the Command and Option keys, then drag the volume or folder icon to the desktop (or wherever you'd like the alias to be.)
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

I tried holding down the command and option key then dragging it to my destkop but when I let go it creates a folder and it starts copying all contents from the network folder to the my desktop. Is that what it is supposed to do?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGreen View Post
I tried holding down the command and option key then dragging it to my destkop but when I let go it creates a folder and it starts copying all contents from the network folder to the my desktop. Is that what it is supposed to do?
Not if you're holding down the command and option keys, at the same time, before you begin dragging, and do not release them until after you've completed the drag.

You should see a fat, curving black arrow as the mouse pointer as soon as you begin dragging. You should not see a green + symbol next to the mouse. It's pretty unmistakable.

What kind of network drive is this?
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

Sorry for the late reply, its a Windows network folder. I have successfully connected my Mac Pro to the Windows network without the use of third party software. I can access the printers and folders. When I press on the option key and click on the drive/folder. I only get the + sign symbol. I thought dragging the folder would help but it seems that it just tries to copy everything in it to my desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

From the Finder Menu, Preferences, put a check in the box that reads Connected Servers, and it'll pop an icon on the desktop when you connect to shared Windows drives

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

Ah...I didn't read your post correctly and for that I am sorry. You said Option Keys, ( which to me would signify the Option/alt and the key with the small apple icon on it right? So then I would have to hold all three keys then click on the drive and drag it to my desktop. I tried it and it worked. Thank you very much....
QUOTE Thanks
cowboyman23

cowboyman23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
from the finder menu, preferences, put a check in the box that reads connected servers, and it'll pop an icon on the desktop when you connect to shared windows drives
worked for me too
QUOTE Thanks
pazz

pazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
From the Finder Menu, Preferences, put a check in the box that reads Connected Servers, and it'll pop an icon on the desktop when you connect to shared Windows drives
And me! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal Question | Verify disk error message?? »