New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Wrong disk space on user account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sam355

sam355 is on a distinguished road

I have one user account on my Macbook Pro and used the filevault option on the user account as I was new to MAC . Now , when I download any files , I see that the disk space is 98gb out of 100GB . I went into the user account to clear out any movie files and music files to clean my Harddrive and when I get info on the user account , it say's the size is 72 GB , but Once I go into individual folders inside the user account that is under filee vault , the total size of all the folders is not more than 10GB .

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and why is the system taking the rest of the space from ????
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Run Disk Inventory X to see what it says.

Free download

Create another bogus account and use file vault,...what does the new one say?
QUOTE Thanks
sam355

I ran the utility and the extra 72gb seems to be the sparseimage of the user account . What is this and how can I delete this to get more space on my HDD
QUOTE Thanks
sam355

I deleted the sparesimage and cannot login back into the user account . I am stuck with the laptop as I cannot login . I dont have the restore CD . Is there any way out of this mess
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

The sparse image was the encrypted accounts contents. Did you empty the trash of the user you were logged in as when you deleted the sparseimage?
QUOTE Thanks
MacRenegade

MacRenegade is on a distinguished road

Don't use Disk Inventory, it's old as heck!

Use GrandPerspective instead, it's a whole lot faster and it's Universal Binary, unlike Disk Inventory.

Breaking Benjamin | Korn | Three Days Grace | Seether | Chevelle | Dope | Adema | Rage Against The Machine | Limp Bizkit
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this Expose? | new Finder windows »