how do i get my network drive to work with itunes
    Ive been trying to get this to work for a while now and ive go to the point where i think i need some help.

In the simplest terms i want to access my itunes music over my wifi network, rather than having the music on the laptop or an external usb drive.

I have managed to copy all my itunes content to a freecom network drive without any issue. The issue comes when i try to use itunes with my content.

The drive appears in the shared section as an smb called fnd.

The issue i am having where after a while it seems to drop the connection to the network drive. Are there any setting for this so it wont keep dropping the connection.

The reason I ask is when it comes to adding 50 + gb of music to itunes (im not copying the files) just pointing itunes at the files. It It drops out about halfway through.

Andy ideas ?

I tried to add a smaller number of tracks lets say 10gb and this worked fine, for a short while.

When it came to reopen itunes and play them, itunes couldnt find the tracks. Now when i added them they played fine.

Is my network shared drive given a different name or soemthing every time i connect ??? I really cant figure this out as I can actually browse to the files no problem.

Looks like my only option then is to continue with my itunes content on a hard wired drive if i cant get this solved.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinalli View Post
    Ive been trying to get this to work for a while now and ive go to the point where i think i need some help.

In the simplest terms i want to access my itunes music over my wifi network, rather than having the music on the laptop or an external usb drive.

I have managed to copy all my itunes content to a freecom network drive without any issue. The issue comes when i try to use itunes with my content.

The drive appears in the shared section as an smb called fnd.

The issue i am having where after a while it seems to drop the connection to the network drive. Are there any setting for this so it wont keep dropping the connection.

The reason I ask is when it comes to adding 50 + gb of music to itunes (im not copying the files) just pointing itunes at the files. It It drops out about halfway through.

Andy ideas ?

I tried to add a smaller number of tracks lets say 10gb and this worked fine, for a short while.

When it came to reopen itunes and play them, itunes couldnt find the tracks. Now when i added them they played fine.

Is my network shared drive given a different name or soemthing every time i connect ??? I really cant figure this out as I can actually browse to the files no problem.

Looks like my only option then is to continue with my itunes content on a hard wired drive if i cant get this solved.
    Some ideas to get you started:
    1. It will help you mac keep track of your network drive if it has a static IP address.
    2. Try connecting by cable and adding all the files to your itunes. This will ensure a stable connection while your library is created.
    3. Sounds like your wi-fi connection is a bit patchy. Try changing the channel you use on your router.

Thread Information