how do i get my network drive to work with itunes
    Ive been trying to get this to work for a while now and ive go to the point where i think i need some help.

In the simplest terms i want to access my itunes music over my wifi network, rather than having the music on the laptop or an external usb drive.

I have managed to copy all my itunes content to a freecom network drive without any issue. The issue comes when i try to use itunes with my content.

The drive appears in the shared section as an smb called fnd.

The issue i am having where after a while it seems to drop the connection to the network drive. Are there any setting for this so it wont keep dropping the connection.

The reason I ask is when it comes to adding 50 + gb of music to itunes (im not copying the files) just pointing itunes at the files. It It drops out about halfway through.

Andy ideas ?

I tried to add a smaller number of tracks lets say 10gb and this worked fine, for a short while.

When it came to reopen itunes and play them, itunes couldnt find the tracks. Now when i added them they played fine.

Is my network shared drive given a different name or soemthing every time i connect ??? I really cant figure this out as I can actually browse to the files no problem.

Looks like my only option then is to continue with my itunes content on a hard wired drive if i cant get this solved.

Specs:
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone7, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinalli View Post
    Ive been trying to get this to work for a while now and ive go to the point where i think i need some help.

In the simplest terms i want to access my itunes music over my wifi network, rather than having the music on the laptop or an external usb drive.

I have managed to copy all my itunes content to a freecom network drive without any issue. The issue comes when i try to use itunes with my content.

The drive appears in the shared section as an smb called fnd.

The issue i am having where after a while it seems to drop the connection to the network drive. Are there any setting for this so it wont keep dropping the connection.

The reason I ask is when it comes to adding 50 + gb of music to itunes (im not copying the files) just pointing itunes at the files. It It drops out about halfway through.

Andy ideas ?

I tried to add a smaller number of tracks lets say 10gb and this worked fine, for a short while.

When it came to reopen itunes and play them, itunes couldnt find the tracks. Now when i added them they played fine.

Is my network shared drive given a different name or soemthing every time i connect ??? I really cant figure this out as I can actually browse to the files no problem.

Looks like my only option then is to continue with my itunes content on a hard wired drive if i cant get this solved.
    Some ideas to get you started:
    1. It will help you mac keep track of your network drive if it has a static IP address.
    2. Try connecting by cable and adding all the files to your itunes. This will ensure a stable connection while your library is created.
    3. Sounds like your wi-fi connection is a bit patchy. Try changing the channel you use on your router.

Thread Information