New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Removing icons from desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kathleen

Hi,
I recently had to install a new harddrive on my Powerbook ( ) and the default settings for the computer were restored. In the past, I had somehow removed the Macintosh HD icon from my desktop, and my desktop was completely free of icons. I can't remember how I did that...does anyone know how to get rid of the MacHD icon? I don't want any icons on the desktop. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Task Bar (at the top of the screen) Finder > Preferences > Un-check "Hard Drives".....

QUOTE Thanks
kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Task Bar (at the top of the screen) Finder > Preferences > Un-check "Hard Drives".....
Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
It's a Menu Bar, not Task Bar... That's the thingy with the start button in Windows
The Menu Bar shows (as the name states) application menus and menulets, not running tasks (like the Windows Task Bar, or the OS X Dock).
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Well said Avalon :-)

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
myme

myme is on a distinguished road

?????
QUOTE Thanks
ZazaApple

ZazaApple is on a distinguished road

I recently started watching movies on my laptop and seeing the icons on the desktop started to annoy me. I didn't want to click fullscreen b/c the video would become blurry. Here's what I found that helped me out tremendously. It hides all of the icons on your desktop! And you can easily bring them back whenever you want to. I love watching hour long movies now without having to see my myriad of files/folders in the background.
First you will need to select the application "Terminal"

*To hide all icons copy and paste exactly this in to the window:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false

*Hit the enter key. Now copy and paste this:

killall Finder

*Hit enter again.

What we did was initiate the command to hide all icons on the desktop. Not just the Hard Drive ones. Then we had to reset the Finder so the changes occurred. All of the files will still exist, but they’re now discretely hidden in your home folder’s “Desktop” directory rather than cluttering up your actual desktop.

*To show the Desktop icons again, open the Mac Terminal and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool true

*For changes to take place, reset the finder:

killall Finder

And you should have all the icons appear again. Hope this helps anyone. Credit to osxdaily.com for the steps!
Hide All Desktop Icons in Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ok, just testing here. The last post I see is #7 dated April 9, 2011. So why is it visible on the list?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Themes | Various Problems with my Macbook »