New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Network file/folder names truncated

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

R2Dork

R2Dork is on a distinguished road

Just got a new MacPro with 10.5.2 but I've run into something weird. A lot of the folder and file names on our windows network machines are truncated. This makes my life very difficult when I'm in a client folder that has a lot of files with similar names.

This wasn't happening before when I was running 10.4. Any ideas on how I can fix this are am I just SOL?

Thanks,
R2
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

Hmmmm ...
We had same problem at our company. If I remember correctly the cure was to mount servers with smb:// in forin of IP, as if you mout them just with IP, mac uses AFP (or something like that) network protocol which causes names to be truncated.
Or maybe that was the solution to unaccessible files on win server.

Try and see if it works,
QUOTE Thanks
R2Dork

Well, I know for sure that I'm connecting with AFP:// because that's what it says in my "favorites" when I use Go>Connect to Server.

When I try to force SMB:// in front of it, it gives me a connection error. I'll keep trying, but it seems like I'm on the right track at least.

Thanks,
R2
QUOTE Thanks
R2Dork

Actually, quick update here... I had to use SMB and then the actual IP address like you mentioned.

It worked!

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

R2
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Microsoft servers use an antiquated version of AFP that only supports 31-character filenames.

It's almost always better to connect using SMB, unless you need access to the resource fork of a file, which only AFP exposes.
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Dork View Post
Actually, quick update here... I had to use SMB and then the actual IP address like you mentioned.

It worked!

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

R2
Oh well, at last this shows that my memory still serves me somewhat ... And my typing skills are worse and worse ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unipass Certificate | Problem when I tried to install Leopard »