New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Can't Boot into OS X, but can Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tmaclean

tmaclean is on a distinguished road

I run bootcamp on my Macbook and I'm having trouble booting into my OS X partition. I [I]can[I] get into XP just fine though. When I try to boot into OS X, the Apple logo comes up along with the spinning gear animation, then the computer just shuts off.

I've tried to boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disc Utility to repair the drive but I'm unable to do so. I click "Verify Disk" and it says that it failed, so I can't click "Repair Disk." I've also booted into single-user mode and tried the same thing but no such luck. I typed in "/sbin/fsck -fy" and I got basically the same message as I did when trying to do it through OS X. The other thing that I've done is reset the PRAM.

What should I do? Luckily, from Windows I can see the OS X partition and go into it, so I could get all of my files off if I needed to, but I'd really like to avoid reformatting. Is there something I should try that I haven't?

Thanks very much in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
tab73

tab73 is on a distinguished road

I have the same error.. Did you figure out a solution?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Can you get to System Preferences from the OS X partition and check Startup Disk and make sure the Leopard disc/partition is selected
QUOTE Thanks
tmaclean

tmaclean is on a distinguished road

I ended up bringing my computer to the Apple store and finding out that I had a corrupt hard drive and they had to replace it. I was able to save all of my data though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble Renaming folders | Upgrade or No Upgrade: Leopard »