New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - How do I get Safari Back??


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
huffstar

 
Member Since: May 04, 2004
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 75
huffstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram

huffstar is offline
So I deleted Safari because it was doing some really weird things and just closing automatically (I thought it was corrupt). But now I can't find where on the apple site to get it back. When I go to it it has the windows specs and download spot, and it says it's part of the software update for Tiger, except my software update checks for that and isn't picking anything up. Very strange.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Use Pacifist to get the package off of your restore or full install disk.
QUOTE Thanks
SASouth

 
Member Since: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 9
SASouth is on a distinguished road

SASouth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffstar View Post
So I deleted Safari because it was doing some really weird things and just closing automatically (I thought it was corrupt). But now I can't find where on the apple site to get it back. When I go to it it has the windows specs and download spot, and it says it's part of the software update for Tiger, except my software update checks for that and isn't picking anything up. Very strange.
You might also try downloading and installing the OS X Tiger 10.4.11 Combo Update. There are two versions of this update. One is for PPC based Macs and the other is for for Intel based Macs. Choose whichever one that matches the processor type in your Mac.

I don't know for a fact that this will work, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't, MacHeadCase's suggestion of using Pacifist is still a good alternative.

In either case, make sure you run the 10.4.11 combo updater and software update to get the upgrade to Safari 3 and all of the other security patches that have come since 10.4.11.
QUOTE Thanks
huffstar

 
Member Since: May 04, 2004
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 75
huffstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram

huffstar is offline
I could do that but then I'd have a really old version of Safari (my disks are 10.2). Isn't there a way to simply download another version of safari from the apple website??
QUOTE Thanks
huffstar

 
Member Since: May 04, 2004
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 75
huffstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram

huffstar is offline
sorry SASouth didn't see your reply before.

I tried getting the 10.4.11 combo (I'm on an Intel macbook), but now safari is showing up as a textedit file and it won't let me open it (clearly it didn't download properly). Again I can go w/ my disks and Pacifist, but my disks are old and this will give me an old safari version......strange that I can't just go to the website....
QUOTE Thanks
SASouth

 
Member Since: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 9
SASouth is on a distinguished road

SASouth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffstar View Post
sorry SASouth didn't see your reply before.

I tried getting the 10.4.11 combo (I'm on an Intel macbook), but now safari is showing up as a textedit file and it won't let me open it (clearly it didn't download properly). Again I can go w/ my disks and Pacifist, but my disks are old and this will give me an old safari version......strange that I can't just go to the website....
What software are you trying to use to download the combo update? (obviously not Safari. )

Also, if you're using a Macbook then the Intel update is going to be about 321 MB. The universal update is about 425 MB. I don't know how fast your Internet connection is but, just as a suggestion, make sure the download is complete before trying to open it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffstar View Post
I could do that but then I'd have a really old version of Safari (my disks are 10.2). Isn't there a way to simply download another version of safari from the apple website??
You are using Tiger, are you not ? Use your Tiger install disk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Is This The Full Version? | 'Logger' process - what is it? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Back up: Safari bookmarks - Address Book contacts - iCal calendars - Keychains - Mail Fallooza OS X - Operating System 2 10-22-2007 01:51 PM
need helping getting quicktime and safari back skiwhyte OS X - Apps and Games 0 07-30-2007 02:26 PM
Safari and passwords question mongoloido OS X - Apps and Games 0 07-27-2007 06:14 PM
Safari always crashes under 10.4 fabio OS X - Operating System 15 04-30-2005 07:53 AM
Safari is the browser to use on OS X!! Computer.Geek OS X - Apps and Games 14 04-29-2005 03:01 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?