New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - How is OS X Tiger better than OS X Panther?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thomas2043

Thomas2043 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: A super dumb and slow PC, a 9 inch screen and a crappy chair

Should I upgrade my Mac from Panther to Tiger (ignore Leopard, I am not planing to upgrade to Leopard)? And how to Tiger better than Panther?
Or how is Panther better than Leopard?
Need answers quick!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

There's no real reason to jump from Panther to Tiger if you're happy with Panther (unless you can get a really cheap Tiger DVD).

There is a reason to jump from Panther to Leopard though. Just look at all the stuff on Apple's website - it's all on there.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I disagree - Tiger is more in tune with what is happening on the web with regard to Flash, wireless and general connectivity. I would make the jump to Tiger - I am still on it and see no need to go to Leopard (I took it off my 24" iMac).
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

There are fewer differences on the surface between Panther and Tiger, than between Tiger and Leopard. However in terms of APIs and compatibility, Tiger offers a LOT more than Panther and Leopard only offers a little more than Tiger.

One thing to consider is your hardware. Panther was pretty accomodating in terms of RAM, but Tiger is truly terrible on anything with less than 512MB of RAM unless you disable a bunch of things (widgets for one).

We're already seeing Leopard only apps (iBank 3, latest version of Handbrake, the new Quicken for Mac will be Leopard only). So my advice, stick with Panther for now, get Leopard when your apps are no longer supported on 10.3

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas2043 View Post
Should I upgrade my Mac from Panther to Tiger (ignore Leopard, I am not planing to upgrade to Leopard)? And how to Tiger better than Panther?
Or how is Panther better than Leopard?
Spotlight.
Improved Mail.
Improved Safari.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...anged_features
Quote:
Need answers quick!
What's the rush? Is your computer about to turn back into a pumpkin?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Thomas Apple are not in the habit releasing systems that go backward. Tiger is much better than Panther with as stated Mail, Safari, security and maintenance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« won't install in my G4 | multiple routers remote folders on selection. »