New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Lessons Learned (6 hours later)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

So, my new MPB arrived yesterday and I learned some valuable lessons that I thought I would share from my 6 hour experience and associated lessons of moving data from my old Macbook to my new MPB.

To set the tone of these lessons, let me tell you what my goals in the “migration” were..

The first goal was to maintain the integrity of my iTunes files. This includes keeping my play counts and other associated data in tact.

My second goal was to move my iPhoto library while keeping my keywords in place.

I used Migration Assistant and a FireWire cable and all I noticed was a bunch of lost hard drive space on my new machine. No photos, no songs just used HD space..

I then started experimenting with just copying my iTunes library from the old machine to the new based on some posts that I read and SUCCESS.

Unfortunately, now after using the Migration Assistant I’ve “lost” 50+ gigs...

Now it was time to wipe the HD and start all over...

After that was done, I moved some applications, iPhoto library, movies folder and iTunes files manually and got the result I wanted.

Now first lesson:

-Don’t waste time with migration assistant.

After using it, I still can’t figure out why none of my iTunes or iPhoto files were moved... My hard drive space went down by 50+ gigs on my MBP but I don’t know what the heck was transferred... I’m sure there is a good explanation but I haven't found it yet.

Second lesson:

-Move it over manually

Third lesson:

There should always be three points and I’m going to reach on this one but make sure you keep all your disks that came with your new computer all together for future use. Also, as you add new software, keep those discs in the same spot so you know where everything is.

Cheers!

http://www.mmmii.com

Home: 15" 2.6GHz MPB; 160gig TV; 16gig White 3G iPhone; 80gig 5.5 iPod; Gen 2 shuffle. Work: 17" 2.5 GHz MPB
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Odd. I used the Migration Assistant on two occasions - the first when I did a clean install and used it to move all of my settings, apps and data back from my backup. The second time was when I upgraded from my old MacBook Pro to my new one. Both times it was flawless. Of course, I did use SuperDuper to create the backup (externally) and then I imported i with Migration Assistant.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It sounds like you're using a new user account on the new computer, and not the one that was migrated from your old computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to set vlc player as default | FTP error »