New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Power Mac - Blue and White Power Mac G3 and OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmcguire2

cmcguire2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5

I have a Power Mac G3 Blue and White, I think its the Rev 1 with Mac OS Rom 7.5.1 with a 300MHz processor, 448 MB Ram, 6GB HD, and Video card with 64 MB of Vram, it is currently running 9.1 i am trying to get 9.2.2 update from apple but it is going VERY slow for some reason. I was trying to install OS 10.4 on it and it said that it was not able to install. the computer will boot up OS X and get to the installer menu after the language selection then i get an error can not install
I am thinking that it will either be the Firmware or such that is causing the problem, I know that it is an old computer and not to viable in to todays world but i will make a great computer for my little boy to play on. any advice on what to do would be great and any advise on what can help me max the usefulness of this machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

As I recall from running 9.2.2 and OS X (I think Tiger, but maybe Panther) on my blue-and-white 350, you must bump OS 9 up to 9.2.2 before you can run it under OS X's Classic, so maybe you also need 9.2.2 if you are loading X onto the same partition as 9. Run a web search or check Apple's site to see whether Tiger can run on your machine. Panther may be its limit.

If you partitioned the drive, X should load on it's own partition no matter the version of 9 on the other one. But even then, Classic under OS X wouldn't run unless 9 was 9.2.2.

I don't know why your update to 9.2.2 is slow. Maybe you should run through what was the usual drill with 9: Rebuild the desktop, run Disk First Aid, and if you have any other repair/maintainance app, such as Norton for 9, run it, too.

OS X (on its own partition) on my 350 was slow but serviceable. Classic running through OS X worked, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
cmcguire2

cmcguire2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5

I have a B&W G3 300MHz, 6BG HD, 477MB ram, running OS 9.2.2 I am trying to get it to update to OS X, I only have a install OS X 10.4 disk that cam with my Mac Mini and a full copy of 10.5 ( i know that 10.5 will not work ) my question it can i connect the mini and to the G3 together via Lan or Firewire and be able to use the mini to upgrade the G3 HD.
I am not sure of any other way to do it but to use another computer running OS 10.4 and install the OS that way on the HD and then put it back into the G3.
Any help would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Should be fine assuming the G3 meets all of the Tiger requirements.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Hmm mis read the post. Use the Mini to load the OS on the G3? Not sure if the G3 will be an acceptable destination drive. I would suggest backing up the G3 if things are valuable and change the HD to a larger one. If Bryan thinks it will work then he is probably correct.

I would not spend lots of time or monies here.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You will need to use an actual, retail 10.4 disk, and you'll need to use either an internal optical drive, or a FireWire or USB-connected optical drive.

You cannot install from another computer.
You cannot use another computer's 10.4 disk without violating the licensing agreement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Annoying box that hilights active window | Finder and Dock keep crashing »