New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Mac maintenance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rist

rist is on a distinguished road

Avid Windows user. I just bought a macbook pro and after a few weeks I have this nag at the back of my brain saying I need to do some maintenance. This because of my PC experiences. Do I need to perform these functions? Clean up ads and spyware, viruses, and defrag the system.

On a second note. I have been using a 24inch monitor and i think it is making my mac run slower; is this normal or an anomaly? I have 2gb in the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

For the most part your Mac runs maintenance scripts at daily, weekly, and monthly intervals. If you want to do more you can download Onyx and it will perform not only those, but other things like cache cleaning and the like.

I don't know about your monitor. I run a 22" on my MBP and I haven't noticed a speed difference.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Have you done you software updates???
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

I can't see how using a larger monitor would affect performance not with todays modern hardware.

I felt like this when I first moved to the Mac but there really isn't the need to run all the maintenance that you would on the PC.

I just run repair disk permissions every now and again, this can be found in the disk utility.

Virus and spyware, I don't even check, never had a single issue on the mac. You have to remember that you are now using a superior computer system.
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I use OnyX once a month. That does the trick for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Don't get too concerned about cache files, they are there for a reason. The Mac uses them to quickly access data, otherwise it has to hit the hard drive more often. Religiously deleting them actually slows the Mac down while they are rebuilt. This ain't Windows!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Glass Icons | Leopard Spaces Bug »