New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How Do I Remove Memory From My Laptop I Want To Sell?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mauii

mauii is on a distinguished road

hello! i have an ibook g4 like brand new used only a few times in the past year since i purchased it & i am going to list it as a auction to sell because i use my imac desktop more often & don't really need the laptop. anyways, my question is how do i remove all the stored information such as my ownership name/password & memory i have stored before selling it? thanx for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Pop in your iBook G4 Install disk or a Tiger retail disc and press C while booting up. Once you are there, follow the instructions and make sure you do an "Erase and Install". As soon as the installer completes, just shut the machine down. The next time you start the machine the first time user setup will show.

If you are paranoid about the buyer digging into your hard drive with military force, use the Disk Utility to "Erase free space" a couple of times after formatting it.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

How Do I Remove Memory From My Laptop I Want To Sell?

Remove keyboard, remove Airport card, and remove metal cover over RAM. Remember to remove the battery and unplug it before removing your RAM.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mauii

thanx for that information! ok new question... i also have an imac it is the g3 older model desktop currently running 10.4 tiger i added the max. ram last year 1gb it has always worked perfect! i went to turn it on the other day & it made the little blink*blink sound over & over & over again not just the standard one time blink sound heard when you normally first start it up then the blue screen came up & instead of it powering up all the way it just has the little imac icon face very small to the center of a black screen & that changes to a very small file folder with a question mark in it that blinks back & forth from the question mark to the imac face & nothing else??? i called a local apple retail store & told them what it was doing they told me it sounds like the hard drive has gone bad on it??? i had earlier the day before been on it & it was working great until i tried to download some new software then it got really slow & froze a few times through out the day, so i am wondering if there is a way i can easy fix it myself? thanx for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

That apple rep is right. Sounds like your hard drive has gone bad. It happens sometimes.

And please don't post in pink
QUOTE Thanks
mauii

ok thanx... sorry for the pink is blue ok?
QUOTE Thanks
mauii

hello! i need help!!! i just purchased a 20" imac computer & it is just beautiful however i need to transfer all my files from my laptop onto it including mail/photos etc. everything how do i do that??? thanx for any help!! thanx!
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

Time machine backup

then put in leopard disc

oh, you don't have leopard, use super duper then
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

ahh changing colors lol. super duper is a great program like charlie said.
QUOTE Thanks
mauii

ok...... fellow mac users & experts ... i did the imac migration transfer but it never showed that it stopped/finished/completed. i did the eject from the hard drive before disconnecting the firewires as told to do ... but didn't store the hard drive files transferred into a folder before doing so... so now did i trash the whole thing that took like 3 hours + to transfer from my ibook to my desktop??? can it be recovered or is it possibly like virtually hidden & maybe i can locate with spotlight? or am i going to have to do it all over again? thanx!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving bookmarks from Win to OS X | apps not working since Leopard »