New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Reformaing iMac to sell

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twalczak

twalczak is on a distinguished road

Hey evryone new to the forum, Im in a difficult situation or maybe i jus dont know how to use macs lol, anyways I have an Imac the thicker ones not the pro and Im selling it to my friends grandma and I want to reformat it before I sell it to her .. It has version 10.4.11 on it. I pop the disc in and it restarts and ask me the language I want to use .. I click english,, then It goes to the next step and say this software cannot be installed on this computer.. The disk came with my computer s o I don't know what Im doing wrong .. Can anyone help me?? thanks!

Tyler
QUOTE Thanks
scoff

scoff is on a distinguished road

If you head into System Preferences and then to Accounts (under the System subheading) you can create a new user ("Grandapple" or whatever) with administrator privileges, logout of your old account, login into the new one, and then delete the old account.
QUOTE Thanks
twalczak

that will erase everything?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Selling it to your friend's Grandma?
It might say you can't install it because you have 10.4.11 installed and the disc is 10.4.4 or something. You should be able over ride that and click erase and install.
I don't recommend the previous mentioned method. You really need to zero out all the data so no one can access it again. A simple delete won't work well to protect against obtaining old data which is sorta what the previous poster described.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
twalczak

it wont let me continue, The only think i can do is go into disc utilities and click erase but i dont wnat top ease the harddrive if i cant re install the os..
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You will be able install to the disk if you format first without a problem. I will pay full price if it doesn't work. Seriously, I will. But you won't have any problems.
when it asks though, zero out the data. It will take 45 minutes per pass but it's well worth it.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
twalczak

Ill hold that to you!! haha kk thanks guys ill give i a try
QUOTE Thanks
twalczak

OK so heres the news .. I erased everything on my hard drive and now went to install the os but its saying the same thing again. Now I cant use my computer Hwats the best way of dong this
QUOTE Thanks
scoff

scoff is on a distinguished road

Phew, it's a darn good thing we stopped that shifty grandma from accessing his data by rendering the computer unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalczak View Post
Now I cant use my computer Hwats the best way of dong this
You should probably grab bryphotoguy's contact information so he can write you a cheque.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade from 10.3.9 | Time Machine w/ a non-Apple router? »