New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Font Problems & Management in OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emma random

Using OSX3.2 on G4 Mirrored Doors doing Graphic design and repro.

Having trouble understanding the world of fonts! Used to use Suitcase with OS9. Now using Font Book that comes with the OS. Some fonts I have are quite old now, and out of my full library that worked ok on OS9, a lot don't seem at all happy on OSX. I had some problems in Illustrator regarding fonts which made swatch palettes disappear. Having thought I'd fixed the problem by finding and removing them (a lengthy task), today I've started another job, activated some fonts and the problem has happened again with different fonts. It seems all of a sudden I have loads of fonts causing problems with the swatch palettes disappearing that had previously worked. Is it my system that's suddenly started to corrupt these fonts?

I keep my fonts in my own folder on the HD rather than in Library/fonts. I assume FontBook puts them in Library/fonts when activated, and they stay there unless you take them out? If I clean off all the fonts by deleting my own master folder, and all the files out of the Library/fonts folder is that going to get rid of system fonts too and cause me massive probs? I'd like to do this because then I can start fresh and add fonts just as I need them, and I'll know which are my problem fonts as I go.

I read that font book cannot handle large numbers of fonts, is this the case? Would it solve all my probs if I had Suitcase X1? I'm also finding certain fonts work on one Mac, then on the other Mac (identical system software), it won't load into font book??!!! Is there an easy solution to all these font management issues? Is there a font library that you can buy for OSX compatability?

I need to understand fonts better and how they work in OSX. Can anyone answer or point me in the direction of some info? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fontbook/
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106417

I removed your other 2 threads because we don't allow double (or triple in this case) posting.

These links should provide you some help

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Hi,
OSX uses True type, Post script type 1 and the Open Type fonts which are common on windows. The old Mac Bitmapped fonts will not work in OSX, they will only work up to OS9.
Deleting system fonts would seem to be a good recipe for disaster.
In font book there is a pull up window under the shown font which will give more info.
I have a large font collection & the OSX Font book works well for turning fonts on or off and making up various collections. The help files are comprehensive and the links in the post above very useful.
Take Care

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
meanopause

I've sort of ran into the same problem. I recently installed Suitcase X1 and deleted some of the duplicates and stuff. Stupidly, i screwed with my /library/fonts/ folder and now all my programs are running screwy. Anyone know of a way to restore all the system fonts (which i have probably deleted)?

I'm scared of running the restore program because i'm thinking it will erase all my stuff. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X behind USA Voting? | ???.crash »