New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - restoring the computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moeshou

moeshou is on a distinguished road

i know i probably sound like an idiot, but I'm not too familiar with macs.

i wondering how to completely restore my computer, files settings everything.
it came with the install cd's but i don't really know what to do.

im not having problems with it, its just that I'm exanging it for the new one and i'd rather have gotten rid of all the files myself then let the futureshop people do it .
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Pop in the installation CD, restart and hold down the "c" key at the chime. That will boot you into the installation process. Choose your language, then reformat before installing the system. When it is done everything will have been erased and a brand new system have been installed. Depending on how paranoid you are that should pretty much take care of it. The new user will be greeted with that multi-language welcome video, just like it was brand new!
QUOTE Thanks
moeshou

moeshou is on a distinguished road

im sorry ,but how would i reformat the hard drive? i know its form disk utility, but not too sure how to use it ?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Easiest way is to start the installation CD, choose your language and go to the menu bar, Utilities, choose Disk Utility -- Reformat -- Mac OS HFS+ Journaled. Once that is done, quit DU and continue the system reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Make sure to preform a secure erase on the HD if you are even a little bit concerned with any personal information that may be on it. Simply reinstalling the OS wont technically wipe the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

along the same page here... i need some help too...
to save some hard drive space, i put all my application support onto an external. it cleared up 30 gigs which is amazing, but apparently imovie (and some other ilife programs) do not like their app. support to not be internal... so i tried to drag the app support for those programs back onto the application support folder on my internal, but something went wrong.
to be honest, the ocd in me just wants to start all over...
what is the best way to go about this...
should i just back up my current entire hard drive on an external, then use the restore discs... will that get all my application support back and give me a new computer to start over with?
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

c'mon someone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac wont boot! | password reminder »