New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Help About Terminal!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac*

i have store some files in macintosh HD (the icon on the desk)/computer science/hello.
then i startup the terminal, and i type "ls" and other commands, but i still can not access there(macintosh HD (the icon on the desk)/info/hello.)
How can i access that file named hello, when i am using termianl, thX
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

You should have no trouble listing that file ifyou have the right file path included in ls
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

When you open a new terminal window, the directory it is set to by default is your user's home directory. If you want to go up a directory, type "cd .." - that will take you to the Macintosh HD/Users folder. Type it again and you'll get to Macintosh HD. From there you should be able to type 'ls' and see your computer science folder there. Type cd "computer science"/hello to get to your 'hello' directory.

However, I suggest you move your files to your user's directory somewhere (maybe documents?) if you don't want other users to be able to access the files.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You can also type "cd /" to get to the root of the drive and go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

i thought cd ment "change directory"
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Yes, it does. If you type cd without any arguments then it'll take you to your home folder. Basically the format is "cd directory/subdirectory"

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "shutdown -fh now" vs. the power button | Decompiling .u's »