New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

eclipse does not run in leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acosgaya

acosgaya is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am new in using Mac OS, I just bought a mac pro. I use eclipse a lot for C++ programming. I just downloaded Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, and after decompressing the file, I tried to run the Eclipse.app, and it doesn't do anything, I don't even see it running in the Activity Monitor.

Is there anything that should be configured?; according to the eclipse readme file, It should be pretty much just copying the Eclipse folder into the Applications folder, and executing the file.

Any input as how to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Adan
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

If you need a stop-gap you could try this:

Intellij

I found this tidbit on my travels:

Quote:
As predicted, Eclipse on 64-bit Java in Leopard runs afoul of SWT/Carbon incompatibility. However, Leopard provides both 32-bit and 64-bit JavaVMs (and launches the 32-bit VM by default), so Eclipse runs just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Eclipse works for me and I am running Leopard - mind you i develop in Java not C++, but that shouldnt make a difference
QUOTE Thanks
acosgaya

acosgaya is on a distinguished road

I found this in the console log

19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) posix_spawnp("/Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse", ...): Permission denied
19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) Exited with exit code: 1
19/11/07 9:57:09 AM com.apple.launchd[66] (com.apple.FolderActions.enabled[227]) Exited: Terminated

It seems I have to give some sort of permission. How could I do this?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

That is very strange. I am running Eclipse Europa (3.3.1.1) in Leopard without any issues.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
Exolon

Exolon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosgaya View Post
I found this in the console log

19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) posix_spawnp("/Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse", ...): Permission denied
19/11/07 9:57:05 AM com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x2a02a].org.eclipse.eclipse[231]) Exited with exit code: 1
19/11/07 9:57:09 AM com.apple.launchd[66] (com.apple.FolderActions.enabled[227]) Exited: Terminated

It seems I have to give some sort of permission. How could I do this?

thanks
Not sure, but you might try "sudo chmod a+x /Users/acosgaya/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-europa-fall2-macosx-carbon/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse" in case it's for some reason not executable? Maybe the archive extracted without preserving permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
mac-i-o

mac-i-o is on a distinguished road

So its proven.
I was running eclipse on my Mac with OS 10.4.
and I was running c++ and java programs with no problems. I could develop in both languages
I then installed Leopard. Java still works. No problems at all. But i have problems with compiling the C++ projects i had previously. Not even Hello world works

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__dof_plockstat) in load command 0

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libstdc++.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__dof_plockstat) in load command 0

make: *** [RandomPeject]

(RandomPeject is the name of my project)

I dont have any solutions to this
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with macports | Script to Open all Programs »