New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Where can I find a Software Install builder ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wtdedula

wtdedula is on a distinguished road

Hello All;
I'm very new to the Mac system (1 day). I just bought an IMac to evaluate/test some software and to create a installer for this software.

Could you tell me where I can obtain a reliable program that can be used to create installs for software that runs on the Mac ?

I would prefer to locate an application that is either free or low cost since my budget isn't that great. But reliability is important too.

The salesman who sold me the IMAC yesterday said that there is a program on the Operating system disk but I can't find it (Which could be due to the fact I don't know the name of it). If there is such an Install builder application, would I find it on the original Tiger distribution DVD's or the Leopard Upgrade DVD ?

I did a search on the Internet and only found one application that is pretty expensive.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

XCode is on the install CDs - it's a complete IDE for building OS X applications.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you creating an installer for? Most applications just need to be dragged to the Applications folder and installers should be avoided where possible.
QUOTE Thanks
wtdedula

wtdedula is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
XCode is on the install CDs - it's a complete IDE for building OS X applications.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you creating an installer for? Most applications just need to be dragged to the Applications folder and installers should be avoided where possible.
Thanks for askng the questions. Perhaps I didn't explain myself that well is much easier to deal with than the PC environment (Which I'm used to).

I am leading the development of some educational software that will allow kids and everyone else to explore the surface of mars in an airplane. I need to release this software on the web so i need to make it possible for users to download it.

On the PC, I use a program called the "Wise for Windows" installer to buindle all of the numerous files associated with the application into a single executable that can be easily distributed on the web. The Wise installer also compresses the files in addition to just bundling them.

I am looking for an equivalent program in Mac OSX that enables you to do a similar thing that the Wise for Windows Installer does on the PC platform.

As I said in my original message, it wouild be nice to find something out there that is free or low cost.

Or perhaps Mac systems work differently and I don't need such a program.

Here is the only program I could find that I think will do what I need - http://bitrock.com/products_installb..._overview.html
but the commercial version is a bit too expensive.

Any help appreciated.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

On a Mac you would normally create a application "package" that contains all necessary file in a folder that looks and acts like a single file to the user.

Then you would drop that into a .dmg file - a disk image that is also compressed I think.
QUOTE Thanks
davewg

davewg is on a distinguished road

There is a software install builder that comes with Tiger called PackageMaker. It can be found in \Developer\Applications\Utilities once you've installed the Xcode Tools CD.

It's pretty basic, but it should to the trick, and of course it's free
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compiling Darwin | Get file version using Terminal »