2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Adding Terminal commands

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to add terminal commands in OS X for opening specific applications, or even opening files with a cerrain application. For instance, on a Linux setup I'm working with, if I type emacs (insert filename), it will open that file (or create it if it doesn't exist) using emacs. Similarly, if I want to use xppaut, I type xppaut (filename) and it'll open that file with xppaut. How can I accomplish this sort of thing for programs with the OS X terminal? Thanks in advance.

And I know there is an emacs command built into the OS X Terminal, but I'd like it to use the Carbon emacs for OS X I downloaded instead of the one that works inside the Terminal. So I guess what I'm asking is if someone knows how to make one of those executable files that are in /usr/bin.

Los Angeles, California
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    It appears that you will need to change the permissions on the file that you downloaded. Look at the permission of the file where you downloaded it and be sure that it is excutable. Then you should be able to do a ./emacs filename, as long as you are setting the directory/folder where the application stored.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information