New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

A Programing question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Actingrude

Actingrude is on a distinguished road

First of all:
>I am not asking for "the best language debate"
please keep it out of this thread

I am looking for suggestions, I don't want to learn a fully functional programing language as, well there will always be someone out there with more knowledge about their particular language and I have come to grips with that. I am used to Autoit, a very simplistic Windows only language.

I prefer a single file program, I am used to the standard format of setting up:
Variables
GUI
and then the actuall program.

I do like the idea of being able to enter data like its coming fromt he user,

Auto it has the ability to enter direct input, such as:
Type: "Whatever the user would type as an exact match CaSeSeNsAtIvE" (Format for Text)
or
MouseClick: "Left (X coordinates, Y coordinates)"

To be perfectly honest thoes were my 2 favorite comands, and I miss them very much... any sugestions of similiar languages for MAC OS X?

Thank you,
Jake
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

jakenoble is on a distinguished road

Applescript ?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Are you looking for GUI programming or Terminal.app programming?

For either, C works really well, although the GUI part gets a bit messy - you need to get a GUI toolkit of some sort. But C certainly can be laid out as you show. Also, I specifically say "C" vs. "C++" because C is smaller, easier to learn and when you are ready, you can expand up to C++, but you don't have to start with that complexity.

For a higher level approach, consider Cocoa, Apple's high level language. Here is a URL that has some introductory material.

http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/17/learn...t-for-newbies/

I have always planned to dig in and learn this myself, but have never had the time.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Actingrude

Actingrude is on a distinguished road

Thank you mac57, I have been looking at cocoa and after playing around making a few scripts it seems like a simple language made complicated by file refrences and such, I'll take a look at c then... any good sites for c I should take a look at?
QUOTE Thanks
Destructive

Destructive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle

C or C++ are good languages to learn.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

For C, the essential reference is the original "The C Programming Language" by K&R. It is a classic and still selling well in bookstores today. Many, many years ago I taught myself C using this very book and I still reference it to this day whenever I write a little code (among many other things, in my spare time I am an open source software author).

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Programming language rated | Help with programming in C or Perl or Python »