09-05-2007, 05:22 PM #1
need help using hidutil to make custom .iso files
- Member Since
- Sep 05, 2007
What I'm trying to accomplish:
I want to be able to load up my .sparseimage with all the files necessary on the disk, customize the background and layout of the Finder window (including using SetFile to hide some files) then convert the .sparseimage to an .iso file (with HFS, UDF & ISO file systems) for distribution and duplication.
This process works flawlessly, except that the HFS+ file system is not displaying the customized background graphic included in the HFS+ file system.
.iso images created using hdiutil are not retaining their background picture.
Instead, the background only appears if the original disk image source (.dmg or .sparseimage) is present and mounted (i.e., the link in .DS_Store seems to be a symbolic link instead of a hard link).
Steps I'm taking:
- Create empty .dmg or .sparseimage (let's say "test.dmg" on the desktop)
- Mount the image
- Load necessary files into the mounted volume, including the background image file (let's name it "BG.png")
- In View Options for the image, set the background to Picture and Select the background image file (BG.png)
- Unmount the volume
- Open Terminal and run the command hdiutil makehybrid -o ~/Desktop/test.iso ~/Desktop/test.dmg
- Mount test.iso
observe: background is white, even though BG.png is present on the volume
- Mount test.dmg
observe: background is displaying BG.png image
- Close and reopen Finder window for test.iso volume
observe: background is displaying BG.png (off of mounted .dmg volume)
- Eject test.dmg volume
- Close and reopen Finder windows for test.iso volume
observe: background is white again
What am I doing wrong?
How do I do what I want to accomplish?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By jtrivedi in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 2Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM
By Froggy in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 3Last Post: 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
By yarjarrarr in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 14Last Post: 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
By KB3GZW in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 2Last Post: 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
By DrivinWest in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 3Last Post: 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM