New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Command for fetch the list of software installed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

srijai

srijai is on a distinguished road

Is there any specific darwin command to fetch the list of software installed in a mac machine. If not a command, is there any other way to fetch it.

It would be of great help if anyone could answer this question.

Thanks in advance.

Srijai.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You can view the installed software here:

BlueAppleIconInMenuBar -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Software (In Left Pane)
QUOTE Thanks
srijai

Hi Pulse-8,
Thank you for the quick response. But I want to fetch it programatically, so is there any specific command that would return the same details.

Srijai.
QUOTE Thanks
srijai

Hi,
I think a ls command in /Applications and its sub folders will fetch the software installed

Srijai.
QUOTE Thanks
Kaurotu

Kaurotu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Standard Black MacBook

Yeah, that's what I would do.

Open your Terminal and change the directory to Applications and just type ls once there.

I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

The majority of time you need to be aware of other apps is if you're looking to set a default for a protocol (open these files with this app, programmatically), where you use Launch Services. This is Carbon, but as of now it is the only way to access this infrastructure.

If you're looking at launched apps, NSWorkspace's launchedApplications method returns an NSArray with that information.

Anyway, why do you need to know the apps on the system? If you give the context, perhaps I can lead you further.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Book recommendations to learn to develop for the mac | how to find out the user login name? »