New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Darwin Wine vs Crossover Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danhowe

danhowe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook; 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive

Im baffled can anyone help?

can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between wine and crossover mac, if there is one.

If there is:
which one is better
which one works
is therethere any major problems with any

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Your confusion is quite understandable. Both derive from the same root software. Wine is the open source version, and Crossover is a product built on that base. In general, Crossover is the more advanced of the two. The commercial imperative seems to have led them to develop and test more stuff, more quickly, than wine.

However, I would advise not using either if you can avoid it. Whatever it is you want to run under Wine/Crossover, I would bet there is an equivalent Mac program.

Could we put that theory to the test? Tell us what program you are trying to run and we will see if we can point you to a Mac equivalent.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
danhowe

danhowe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook; 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive

Thanks for the reply

minitab... for uni....which they dont yet do a mac version of yet
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhowe View Post
Thanks for the reply

minitab... for uni....which they dont yet do a mac version of yet
Here are some Minitab equivalent apps for the Mac:

JMP

KaleidaGraph

Strata

R

Aabel
QUOTE Thanks
MrJoshua

MrJoshua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo

Just thought I'd jump in here, as I only use my PC Notebook for one thing (and if I could find a Mac equivelant, I'd be a very happy bunny):

Ross Tech Vag-Com : Link

Cheers

Josh (UK)
Fairly Recent Switcher
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
In general, Crossover is the more advanced of the two. The commercial imperative seems to have led them to develop and test more stuff, more quickly, than wine.
Yes, the focus is completely different. The focus of the Wine project is to get API compatibility, without focussing on any particular API or compatibility issue. The target is "everything". The Crossover approach is much more pragmatic, starting with particular targets (MS Office, Internet Explorer or DirectX, for example) and making those APIs the priority. The stuff that isn't needed can get left for later.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just made my first widget... | Can I put alarm clock on desktop from a script or programing »