New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

commands?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newtomacs

yesterday i just figured out how to get to Darwin and i was happy i finally did ( even though i felt stupid how easy it was to do) i realized i don't knwo any commands. do any of you know any commandsd that could get me started? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomacs
yesterday i just figured out how to get to Darwin and i was happy i finally did ( even though i felt stupid how easy it was to do) i realized i don't knwo any commands. do any of you know any commandsd that could get me started? thanks
Get a good book on unix or visit some of the How-to style websites (linux and unix are basically all the same thing btw).

To be really specific you have BSD, which stands for Berkeley Standard Distribution, flavoured unix.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

type man and a command and all of its uses will be shown. pwd shows what directory you are in cd (new directory) cd (nothing) goes back to the home directory. ls lists whats in the directory you are in. top shows what running. type exit when done. sh /etc/daily runs daily cron and needs admin password...
QUOTE Thanks
XmacgeniusX

heres a few,
cd=change directory Example:cd /users/(username)/desktop

pwd=show current directory

mkdir=create a directory mkdir /users/(username)/desktop/(New Directory) , if the
new directory has spaces in it, be sure to put the whole thing in "double quotes"

cp (file location)=[copy file]/rename Example: cp /users/(username)/desktop/image.jpg /users/(username)/desktop/pictures/image12.jpg

mv=relocate a file Example: cp /users/(username)/desktop/image.jpg /users/(username)/desktop/pictures/image.jpg

ftp X.X.X.X=connect to that host via ftp

ed (file name) = edit a text file

login= login to a different user Example: login bob , then it will ask for bob's password

open (program/file location)= opens up a program or file Example: open /applications/safari.app

kill (process number) =closes the process/application

top= lets you view what processes are going on

shutdown = shuts down ur computer

shutdown -r = restarts your computer

These should get you going
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't think putting a string a test inside a set of parathesis. I believe you need to place the string inside doulbe quotes ("), or even a back slash then a space ( .i.e mkdir new\ stuff)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apache Cocoon Dev | Starting OS X apps using Darwin »