New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

gcc compiling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

I am trying to install some extension files for python to allow it to read all types of website characters, not just the standard ones. Below is my problem.

Code:
sfe04:~/Desktop/cjkcodecs-1.1.1 username$ python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'cjkcodecs._multibytecodec' extension
gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/multibytecodec.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/multibytecodec.o
unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
I have installed Xcode and the developer tools given by the ADC website and so I assume I have the GNU gcc compiler and all the flags, but apparently not.

So basically, right now I am googling how to get the gcc compiler tags listed above in my gcc compiler. I am not really sure how to check if I have all of them once I download and install another gcc package however, so I am sort of stuck. Please let me know if you have had this problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks in Advance,

James
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Hmm .. when I installed Xcode and all the tools from the Tiger install CD, it put gcc in /usr/bin. Go to a terminal and do:

ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*

and see what comes back.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.
It is in the right place. I went ahead and changed the permissions on the gcc in usr/bin to be readable and now it works. Must have been that. Thanks.

James
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Would You Suggest? | Leopard uninstall »