Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Development and Darwin (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-development-darwin/)
-   -   gcc compiling (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-development-darwin/41755-gcc-compiling.html)

jdgti 09-18-2006 09:38 PM

gcc compiling

I am trying to install some extension files for python to allow it to read all types of website characters, not just the standard ones. Below is my problem.

Code:

sfe04:~/Desktop/cjkcodecs-1.1.1 username$ python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'cjkcodecs._multibytecodec' extension
gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/multibytecodec.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/multibytecodec.o
unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I have installed Xcode and the developer tools given by the ADC website and so I assume I have the GNU gcc compiler and all the flags, but apparently not.

So basically, right now I am googling how to get the gcc compiler tags listed above in my gcc compiler. I am not really sure how to check if I have all of them once I download and install another gcc package however, so I am sort of stuck. Please let me know if you have had this problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks in Advance,

James

cazabam 09-19-2006 02:36 AM

Hmm .. when I installed Xcode and all the tools from the Tiger install CD, it put gcc in /usr/bin. Go to a terminal and do:

ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*

and see what comes back.

cradom 09-19-2006 08:54 AM

Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH

jdgti 09-19-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom
Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

mac57 09-19-2006 05:05 PM

In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.

jdgti 09-20-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac57
In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.

It is in the right place. I went ahead and changed the permissions on the gcc in usr/bin to be readable and now it works. Must have been that. Thanks.

James