New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Can You Help? I've Messed Up Terminal.app Login

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Oh boy! In my efforts to get the Terminal.app window to close when I exited the VE text editor (see my previous post about THAT topic) I created a bash shell script that just ran VE and then did "exit". I reasoned that if typing exit into shell windows manually closed the window, perhaps this would do the trick. It didn't.

When I right clicked in now dormant window and selected Windows Settings, which brings up the Terminal Inspector window, I noticed that for some reason the "When Shell Exits" - "Close This Window" radio button wasn't selected, even though it is my Terminal.app default.

So, next time I started VE by double clicking on the icon, I started Terminal Inspector again, selected the "Close This Window" radio button and then pressed the "Use Settings as Defaults" button at the bottom of Terminal Inspector.

MAJOR mistake! neye: Now, whenever I start Terminal.app, I don't get a shell window anymore, I get VE. When I quit VE, the window goes away! I have lost access to Terminal.app. Ackkkk.

Does anyone know where this is controlled from? How did I inadvertantly cause Terminal.app to execute VE every time, and how can I reset it back to just executing WHATEVER it was doing before? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that you will need to start your system in single user mode and back out the changes you have made. After reading some of hte things you have done, i believe that you should have enough unix skill to remove your additions.

After that is done, you may want to look at an Apple script will open a terminal session, along with your VE editor. Whch will closes evrything upon the exit of the VE editor.

What I don't understand is, why is it so difficult about quitting the terminal application after you finish editing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Thanks rman. After Googling various and sundry terms (no pun intended!) I discovered that by simply deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist, I could eliminate the startup of VE and get back to normal. I had to re-establish all my Terminal.app defaults, but it was a small price to pay.

Re Applescript, this sounds interesting, but I know zero about it. Do you have any idea where could I find some really simple examples to look at? The quickest way to learn is by looking at what other people have done. I suspect that there are lots of Applescript scripts on this machine right now if I just knew where to look! Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Closing Terminal.app Window When App Exits | Script for Find/Change »