Why won't my app open on other macs?
    Hello,
    recently I spent many hours on making my own little app. The problem is it works only on my computer and it doesn't work on other Mac Computers.
    It launches on a dock for a second and then automatically closes.
    How do I build my own app when I'm ready?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    There's a lot missing here. What language are you using? How did you compile it? Are you using libraries present on other machines?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    There's a lot missing here. What language are you using? How did you compile it? Are you using libraries present on other machines?
    I am sorry.
    I am using Objective-C (Cocoa Application). I made the app on my MacBook Pro mid 2010 running mavericks (latest Xcode) and development target is 10.7. It works perfectly and the way it should. I'm upset a little because it took me months to get the code right but I finally got everything right.

I compile the app by going to Product -> Archive ->Distribute ->Export as Application->Don't re-sign and then pressed export.
    The app works perfectly on My MacBook Pro mavericks, but when I tested it on White Macbook, which runs Lion it just launches for a second and closes itself (dock icon only)

I tried it on Snow Leopard and it said it needs 10.7 or newer (makes sense) So how do I get it work on my other Macs?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Odds are that the code is actually broken (welcome to the joyous and yet frustrating world of programming). I've seen it happen before - code works really well under the conditions that you're testing and as soon as you try it elsewhere, it all fails miserably.

Run the app from the command line:
    Code:
    open -a /path/to/app/bundle/name.app
    When it fails, take a look at the error message.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thank you very much for being so kind and replying for me.
    I ran the command line and it said that the app doesn't exist, but I must tell you this that I copied the source to text edit and I did it on a Mac that runs Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2 and it works exactly the same way and everything except the icon and minimum OS (now it's 10.4.11) is same.

I built it the same way I described you yesterday and it works on every Mac I've tried. It stays open, everything opens well.

I don't know why it didn't work when I built on other Xcode. I guess I will have to use Snow Leopard as a development OS. Maybe the problem was also that I am not an identified developer? I just started. It's a simple status bar app that views your desktop (just like in Windows Vista,7,8). I didn't find this function on a Mac and I was tired of pressing CMD+H all the time. Trackpad or built in version isn't the same as I needed.

The only coding I pretty much did was it to open my website when clicked button and web view things and to hide it when you click status bar icon. As I've explained it's a very simple app and I don't see what the problems might've been.

How do I build apps on Mavericks or Yosemite? Do I really have to be stuck on Xcode 4.2 for the rest of my life?

Thread Information