New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

creating a text file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simon77

simon77 is on a distinguished road

hello,

after long time of searching I came here for your help.

This is my program:
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
FILE *fr;

fr=fopen("cool.txt", "w");
if (!fr) { perror("fopen"); } else { printf("Nothing Wrong"); }

fprintf(fr, "hello");

fclose(fr);

return 0;
}

I am using Xcode. After I compile it, I got printed: Nothing Wrong.. But when I want to find my text file, I can not.. I tried even searching through spotlight, but I could not find it..

Please help ...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It does get created but it does so in a Debug folder for your Xcode project. On my machine, it ended up here: /Users/vansmith/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Test-hegcxqhvaepxatdplarpdfunsfrb/Build/Products/Debug/cool.txt. Go to /Users/vansmith/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ and start working your way down through the folders to find it (note - the folders in there should contain your project name).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
simon77

thank yout Very Much .. and do you know how to redirect it anywhere "nearer" ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Be explicit about where you want the input instead of just locating it where the binary is run from.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

You can specify a full path name in the open() instead of just the file name.
Alternatively, there are functions to set the current path to something " nearer " before you do the open() :-)
Don't forget to set the path back to what it was before the program terminates.
So the sequence can be get path(), set path(), open() etc.... and then set path() to what it was before.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
simon77

okey.. that sounds logical.. so, example could be: fr=fopen("\user\documents\hello\cool.txt", "w")? .. and when I use
if((fr=fopen("cool.txt", "r")) == NULL)
printf("hi");

it prints hi, even though I put the text file in the same directory as my project..
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all

You might be mixing things up .....
you opened a file in a specific path.
Then you open a file for " read " in the path where you are running the binary from ... does that file exist in that directory ? I assume not and that is why your file pointer = NULL and it prints " hi "

Edit .... you are also using the same file pointer for 2 different files :-)

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Be careful with your paths as well - \user\documents\hello\cool.txt is not a valid Unix path. You'd be better off using something to get the home directory of the user.

It's here that I've exhausted the little C/C++ I know since I'm not sure how you do that.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
simon77

okey... to sum this up:

my project is saved in: users/documents/

I want to create there my new text file called cool.txt .. I would do it:
fr=fopen("users/documents/cool.txt", "w");
And in other program I want to read this file, so I would write:
fr=fopen("users/documents/cool.txt", "r");

where is my mistake?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Assuming that the pathname convention is correct for UNIX then there is no error if you are using 2 different programs :-)
Similar to VanSmith, I have no knowledge of the UNIX pathname conventions in C/C++
Also be prepared that you might run into ' authorisation ' issues if you ( as a user ) do not have the correct permissions to create/write/read a file in a specific path.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon77 View Post
fr=fopen("users/documents/cool.txt", "w");
Again, as a caution, users/documents/cool.txt is not a valid directory. OS X home directories are located at /Users/<your username> (replace this with your short hand username).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
simon77

thank you very much ..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« xcode and array help | AppleScript for checking value »