New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Where the VB in the Mac World?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

piece of apple

Hi, im a young programmer, and i loved designing usefull little apps on my PC. Is there like a "Visual Basic of Mac" out there. Like, an easy little app used to design Macintosh projects?

thanks

ps. got the OS X Tiger installed on a Mac Rev 3 (2001), and loving it!
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

im as far from a programmer as it gets but im guessing u could try doing some cool stuff with applescript
QUOTE Thanks
jamin

jamin is on a distinguished road

If you were looking to build OS X (Cocoa) Apps you can download and install Xcode. Xcode is an Interface Builder and IDE. OS X apps are usually programmed in Objective C but can also be coded in C, C++ and Java.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece of apple
Hi, im a young programmer, and i loved designing usefull little apps on my PC. Is there like a "Visual Basic of Mac" out there. Like, an easy little app used to design Macintosh projects?

thanks

ps. got the OS X Tiger installed on a Mac Rev 3 (2001), and loving it!
I suggest you learn one (or all) of the following:

1) Java.
2) Python.
3) Perl.
4) C++.

The learning curve will probably be steep but well worth the effort and the skills you learn will be far more useful in a professional sense later on.

btw I'm an OLD programmer. :ninja:

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
piece of apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
I suggest you learn one (or all) of the following:

1) Java.
2) Python.
3) Perl.
4) C++.

The learning curve will probably be steep but well worth the effort and the skills you learn will be far more useful in a professional sense later on.

btw I'm an OLD programmer. :ninja:

Amen-Moses
oooh kk i got some learning to do then ... thanks bye :batman:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://www.realsoftware.com/

That's about as close to VB as you can get. You really might be better off learning Java, though.
QUOTE Thanks
piece of apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
http://www.realsoftware.com/

That's about as close to VB as you can get. You really might be better off learning Java, though.
wow that's a pretty good piece of software. nice find :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece of apple
oooh kk i got some learning to do then ... thanks bye :batman:
Don't take my post negatively, if you want to just make decent apps for a Mac then AppleScript will more than cope but if you want to be platform independent then you need to learn the languages I posted about.

Download Xcode and just play, you'll be amazed at what you can do with the likes of Java and Python and be fully confident that the same programs you write will run on ANY platform.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
crabby

crabby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 900,640,40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses View Post
Don't take my post negatively, if you want to just make decent apps for a Mac then AppleScript will more than cope but if you want to be platform independent then you need to learn the languages I posted about.

Download Xcode and just play, you'll be amazed at what you can do with the likes of Java and Python and be fully confident that the same programs you write will run on ANY platform.

Amen-Moses
Amen-Moses but I had the impression that RealBasic is doing exactly that, providing a RAD plattform independent programing tool. That you can compile clear written c or c++ is well known but VB is (for me at least) used for quick and dirty adhoc apps. Now that I actually switched I'm looking for something I can use instead of VB. So whats wrong with RB ?

there are always two sides of a story and 12 ways to sing a song or write some code. so whats wrong ?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby View Post
Amen-Moses but I had the impression that RealBasic is doing exactly that, providing a RAD plattform independent programing tool. That you can compile clear written c or c++ is well known but VB is (for me at least) used for quick and dirty adhoc apps. Now that I actually switched I'm looking for something I can use instead of VB. So whats wrong with RB ?
For quick and dirty RealBasic looks fine but if you want to eventually be a "professional" programmer (as if such a thing really exists, we're really all amateurs having fun ) then you will need to stretch a bit.

Of course since I made that post the world has moved on, add Mono and Ruby-on-Rails with a smattering of PHP to that list.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
crabby

crabby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 900,640,40

Now it really makes sense to look at the dates, my posting was a gravedig! /me shall go and see the doctor.
And to the topic are there pros ? Well there is those guys that have fun and there is linetypers

there are always two sides of a story and 12 ways to sing a song or write some code. so whats wrong ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disable Infrared Reciever Script | my MAC as a stand alone server for on site viewing of Portfolio »