Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Development and Darwin (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-development-darwin/)
-   -   Help needed to compile Python 2.5.6 from source on OSX 10.8 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-development-darwin/300317-help-needed-compile-python-2-5-6-source-osx-10-8-a.html)

symbolix 06-24-2013 04:30 PM

Help needed to compile Python 2.5.6 from source on OSX 10.8

Hi,
I am trying to compile Python 2.5.6 from source under OSX10.8.

I already have got XCode 4.6.2 with command tools installed.

gcc returns:
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

gcc it self is linked as following:
/usr/bin/gcc -> llvm-gcc-4.2

I also installed an alternative gcc4.6.4 through macports, just in case. I have access to that one.

Apart from that, I get errors and lots of problems when trying to compile. Despite running custom prefixes and setting env. variables like CPP, CC, CXX etc; no success so far.

This proves to be tricky. Could you please help me with this?

Thanks.

vansmith 06-24-2013 09:10 PM

Is there any particular reason that you're building 2.5.6 from source? If you do need to do this, MacPorts has 2.5.6 available as a port.

Compiling this is going to be tricky as I imagine that Python has quite a few dependencies (both build and runtime). Unless the included instructions or a guide somewhere list these, you're going to have to build this and keep a look out for any and all errors.

symbolix 06-25-2013 09:22 AM

Hi vansmith,
Ah, I have written an extensive and nice answer to your question... Unfortunatelly something went wrong and it did not get posted and I lost my entire message :(

It will not be as nice as it was but here is a summary: I do not like macports, I do not use this-brew, that-brew and virtualenv and things like that. I like to compile my libraries and compile against them etc.

Python 2.6 and Python2.7 compiled fine so far. Just Python2.5 is a pain as the llvm GCC does not like it.

I am after some guidiance and hopfully I can solve this issus.

Thanks.

EDIT: I manage things with wrapper scripts (things like $PYTHONHOME switching and library switching etc.)

symbolix 06-26-2013 09:08 AM

Hello,
So I managed to compile Python 2.6.8 on OSX 10.8, against some custom libraries like "Readline" (which I have also compiled) and it works fine. All of my custom applications and libraries are in a designated folder.

I will try that with Python 2.7.x, and I hope that it works. However Python 2.5 is still an issue.

Thanks.

vansmith 06-26-2013 03:52 PM

You're going to need to provide specifics about the errors then if you want help. I suspect that part of the problem is the version of LLVM and GCC bundled with OS X which might be too modern. Have you tried using a version of GCC that is more appropriate for that time period? Note than Python 2.5 was released in the fall of 2006 which is quite old.