New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Editing System Information to Bypass System Requirements?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I have a Powermac G5 2.3ghz dual-core, running as a server to my other Macs. I connected an EyeTV Hybrid with the intention of streaming live TV over my LAN/Internet.

Eyetv 3.5 is a universal application, but requires an Intel Mac to use the Live Streaming feature. Assuming the entire application is written in universal binary (including the Live Streaming Feature), how can I "fool" EyeTV into thinking it is running on an Intel Mac? Would editing the file used to compile the information found in "About This Mac" work, or do applications gather system information independently?

It doesn't make sense that a single component of an application would be Intel-Only when everything else is Universal Binary. I believe PowerPC was excluded for performance reasons. Although it is a very old machine, it was one of the fastest PPC macs and has alot of RAM- it can't possibly be much slower than some of the original CoreDuo Macs. I'd like to see if it can actually stream live TV, granted that there is a solution to my question.

Thank you in advanced for any insight you can provide.

Sidenote- I have tried using CyTV (An app designed for streaming EyeTV on PPC macs), but it hasn't been developed in years, and doesn't work properly when streaming to a modern mac.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

720 views and nobody has any ideas?

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g5 View Post
720 views and nobody has any ideas?
Those "views" are from the hits provided by Google and other search engines, not just what our forum members are viewing. Be patient, your question is not something most folks are going to be familiar with.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since both OS X and the EyeTV software are closed source, there really isn't much you can do to fool anything. If the application fails to run on your system because it needs an Intel Mac, that's pretty much it. They are probably using a OS X Core API to figure out what machine they are running on and unless you can hack the Core API to provide some new information, you're out of luck..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thought I had posted a couple days ago.

I am thinking that the streaming component could well be Intel only.
I have an EyeTV hybrid from '07-'08 and am pretty sure the live streaming was not available at that time at all - and on my Intel machines.

According to ElGato - EyeTV 3.5 and above are Intel only, with 3.4.3 being the last Universal version.
I'd have to go back and do a bunch more digging - haven't kept up with all their stuff, but, am thinking 3.5 was where they intro'd the streaming.
Could be that was just the one for streaming to iPhone or iPad though.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g5 View Post
Eyetv 3.5 is a universal application, but requires an Intel Mac to use the Live Streaming feature.
You have a G5 Powermac...not an Intel Mac. Therefore the Live Streaming Feature will not work on a G5 Powermac. If an Intel Mac is what is required to use the Live Streaming Feature...then you need an Intel Mac.

It's somewhat similar to someone asking..."How can I fool my Powermac G5 to run an Intel Only game?" If the system requirements say you need an Intel Mac...you need an Intel Mac.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Empty window in Cocoa application, controls don't appear. | Do people post about Hackintoshes on this site? »