New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Note taking app dev

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I want to build a simple note taking app for mac as I can't find one with my required functionality anywhere:

-Tables with organizable rows
-iPhone app / cloud sync
-Word search
-Folder Organization
-Separate note window opening

How easy would it be (as a complete newb to xcode) to build the above spec in. Also, how long might a project like this take for a pro developer to build? - Graphic design could just look like Text Edit with an extra panel of buttons/features etc. Just looking at my options..

Many thanks,
Josh
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I have just started iOS development and from what i know already, something like this would be on the simpler side of iOS development. The things that would add to the difficulty would be the iCloud Syncing, as you need to Know what you want to sync to i.e.: Same sort of App but on the Mac ?? Dropbox ?? You get my drift. So that is a completely different kettle of fish altogether.

As a complete newb its not something you could tackle, someone like me, i think i could knock something out sort of like that but would be the bare basics.
As to how long would it take a Pro Developer, well that all depends on them, there workflow, how they write the App . . . It depends on a lot of different things.

Why not Pages for iOS ?? It has Tables, Folder Organisation, it doesnt have word search, but does have iCloud syncing and you have a plethora of Pages to write on . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I have just started iOS development and from what i know already, something like this would be on the simpler side of iOS development. The things that would add to the difficulty would be the iCloud Syncing, as you need to Know what you want to sync to i.e.: Same sort of App but on the Mac ?? Dropbox ?? You get my drift. So that is a completely different kettle of fish altogether.

As a complete newb its not something you could tackle, someone like me, i think i could knock something out sort of like that but would be the bare basics.
As to how long would it take a Pro Developer, well that all depends on them, there workflow, how they write the App . . . It depends on a lot of different things.

Why not Pages for iOS ?? It has Tables, Folder Organisation, it doesnt have word search, but does have iCloud syncing and you have a plethora of Pages to write on . .

Thanks a lot for the info.. how CPU intensive is Pages though?!
I need a notes app that I can keep open all the time in the background..
I also need to store all my notes in one app - like in Evernote
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Pages on iOS or Mac isnt that CPU intensive. I just did a test as i have iStat on my iPad Mini and i opened Pages and the CPU was @258MB and when i closed it the CPU went down to 235-240MB and then i closed Evernote and the CPU went down another 25MB so it seems Evernote uses more on my iPad Mini.

The other thing with Pages is i can Open the Page i have written In Evernote, iBooks, Dropbox, Droplr, Air Sharing, Textastic and USB Disk Pro, so as you see its quite a versatile little App on iOS and it syncs with iCloud so then you have it on your Mac, or you can Dropbox it and its on your Mac or Evernote too.
Highly recommend Pages now for you knowing it can do what you want. At $5.49 AUD you cant go wrong and its Universal, meaning buy it once and you can put it on iPad and iPhone. $10.49 AUD in the MAS . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XCode 4.6.1 crashes on start (OS X 10.8.3) | Empty window in Cocoa application, controls don't appear. »