New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

x11 Installation Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

I'm trying to run a program (Darwine) on my computer but it's asking for x11.app, I put in the OEM Tiger Disc and installed everything other than the OS and that didn't work. So I went to the Apple website and downloaded the installer (x11User.pkg) and tried to install it however it says that newer software is already installed. I enabled hidden files with an Apple Script and still can not find the x11.app file in the directory (Applications > Utilities) and it won't come up in Spotlight. I tried installing an installer already on my computer (x11SDK.app) from some time before I bought it (March 2005; bought it in September 2005) with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Try downloading Pacifist and digging through your install disk until you find the X11.app package and install JUST that package.

This is what I had to do to get it to work on my Powerbook.

Hope that helps.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It's on the Tiger DVD that came with your machine. Insert the DVD into the drive, and when the DVD mounts on the Desktop, scroll around and you will find Optional Installs. Click on that and when it launches it will go to the introduction screen, then it will ask for the Root Password, and ask if you agree or disagree, then it will ask what drive, then take you to the Installation Type screen. Expand Applications and check X11. The rest you should have no problems with. Then X11 will be installed.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

If it has installed then it should be in your utilities folder in the applications folder. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

I did install it and it's not there. I'm going to try looking for "Optional Installs" and Pacifist.
QUOTE Thanks
atforce

omg this is excactly what happened to my powerbook i tried gimp and it didnt work.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

Yeah except I'm not running the GIMP. I'm running Darwine. GIMP is for n00bs. Be a man and buy Photoshop. Haha. I'm kidding.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

You have to reinstall OSX. Just back up all your movies, music, etc. and Reinstall it.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Ah, I thought I saw another thread like this, but couldn't find it. Anyways, once the Tiger disc window is launched, scroll down to the middle System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg.
QUOTE Thanks
atforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
Yeah except I'm not running the GIMP. I'm running Darwine. GIMP is for n00bs. Be a man and buy Photoshop. Haha. I'm kidding.

ok i am not a materialist and i dotn feel like spending 600 bucks on it, thats what birthday is for :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

You could always get a wacom graph tablet as it has photoshop elements with it which is a basic version of photoshop. You can do most anything with it apart from work in CMYK colours or work with actions. As a stand alone program it costs about 100 euros (with the tablet the same price-not sure if it's the same version). So a lot more reachable than the price that photoshop sells at.
QUOTE Thanks
pj5000

hey dtravis7, that worked like a charm! thanks. i was having problems with my powerbook; an older model with panther originally; upgraded to Tiger using retail dvd. but when i looked at my installers/xcode tools/packages....most of these, especially the developertools.pkg, devsdk.pkg and xcodetools.pkg were for OS 10.3.
Question....Can I delete these? as i'm never going back to Panther....
Also, i installed X11sdk.pkg and it worked....i think....i wonder why that worked...
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

yeah i tried gimp and i just checked in utilities its not there...

and yes photoshop is for birthdays.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

The X11 install is on one of the Tiger DVDs I believe, or you can download it from apple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eWorld recreation, anyone? | retrieving and changing the ip address »