New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Programming for Dummies. Need help please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RussellDriver

RussellDriver is on a distinguished road

Hi All, I just got Programming with Java for Dummies and in the book he mentions to start programming I need the following 3 downloads:

Mac Java Compiler: I have downloaded Text Wrangler
Java API Documentation: I really cannot find this anywhere
Jcreator: I believe this is only available for windows

Would any one be able to link me to your recommended items for the above for Mac. I am finding it really difficult to navigate my way around the Oracle Website for the above.

Many thanks for any help
Russell

Edit: I have decided to use windows 7 for this.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

TextWrangler is not a Java compiler - it's an editor. To get the Java Development Kit (compiler), go here and download the JDK. The Java 7 docs are here. Yes, JCreator is Windows only but any editor/IDE will do. Some to consider: Eclipse, NetBeans, TextWrangler and TextMate.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RussellDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

TextWrangler is not a Java compiler - it's an editor. To get the Java Development Kit (compiler), go here and download the JDK. The Java 7 docs are here. Yes, JCreator is Windows only but any editor/IDE will do. Some to consider: Eclipse, NetBeans, TextWrangler and TextMate.
Thanks vansmith, I downloaded the JDK - However there does not seem to be any application for this in my Apps folder once I installed it, would I not need to launch this as an app once installed?

Also the for the Java 7 docs there is a very long list of a few hundred or so... which would be the one to download?
QUOTE Thanks
RussellDriver

Hi - I am trying to download the API Documentation but the list is huge: Java Platform SE 7

The book says look for J2SE or API Documentation and download it however nothing on the website is called this. Can any one tell me what to download please?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You want to go to Java Platform Standard Edition 7 Documentation and then click on JDK 7 Documentation on the left which will take you to a page where you can download the API Documentation..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RussellDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You want to go to Java Platform Standard Edition 7 Documentation and then click on JDK 7 Documentation on the left which will take you to a page where you can download the API Documentation..
Thanks you a rockstar
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellDriver View Post
Thanks vansmith, I downloaded the JDK - However there does not seem to be any application for this in my Apps folder once I installed it, would I not need to launch this as an app once installed?
No, Java is not an application in the same way that Firefox is for example. It is a series of binaries that you have to execute from the command line. Check your book - it should explain this in there somewhere.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You can check out Eclipse and NetBeans, two full featured IDEs that will help you with your Java programming.

Once you've installed the IDE of your choice and installed the JDK, point the IDE to the JDK and from then on you can write your code in the IDE and compile it with the Java compiler directly from the IDE itself and execute and debug and all that happy jazz..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You can check out Eclipse and NetBeans, two full featured IDEs that will help you with your Java programming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Some to consider: Eclipse, NetBeans, TextWrangler and TextMate.
A little slow to the punch my good man.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

You didn't provide links!

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Now you're just being pedantic.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Build type error compiling wine | I'm new to Xcode and I'm having some trouble with finishing my say hello script. »