New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Operation not permitted,

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dfu

dfu is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I'm trying to run portscaner as part of my work at school. When I run the code it shows an error msg "Operation not permitted". This msg is printed directly after the OS fails to create a socket.

Notes:
1. my system is Mac OS X 10.6.8
2. in this project I'm using row socket.
3. I've written a code before the creates TCP socket and runs perfectly.

I assume this error appear because row sockets require some kind of higher privilege that my system currently has. Does anyone know how to change the privilege in my system?
Any helps is highly appreciated

Thanks,
DFU
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Are you an Administrator on the machine? If so use sudo to run the comands..input your user password.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
dfu

Thanks cradom.

Yest, I'm the admin on the machine. Would you please advice me where to type sudo?

here is where the code stops:
Code:
ss->sockfd = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_TCP);
	//int s = socket (AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_RAW); to  to specify the IP header
	if (ss->sockfd == -1)
	{
		perror("Unable to create socket"); //  here the following is printed out: Unable to create socket, operation not permitted  
		return -1;
	}
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You use sudo to run the command as a higher level. For example:
sudo netstat
Password: (type your user password here. you wont see it so make sure you type it right)
Have no idea about the code. Maybe someone else can check that?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
dfu

Thanks for your clarification.
I wrote the following in the command line and it works:
sudo ./myexecfile

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App to modify the Mail program | Apple script »