New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

AppleScript issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

huntson

huntson is on a distinguished road

I am fairly new to AppleScript and need some help with the following line:

do shell script "diskutil unmount \"Volumes/" & bob

Bob is the variable of the name of the volume I want to pass to the shell script. No matter how I do it - I cannot get the end of the line correct in terms of quotes.* I get the following error in its current state

sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
QUOTE Thanks
Mark FX

Mark FX has a spectacular aura about

Show the code for how you have set the bob variable, as I'm guessing
that is where the problem is.

Regards Mark
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You need to add a quotation mark at the end.

Pretend bob has a value of external_disc. Let's construct the command now, replacing bob with the value:
Code:
do shell script "diskutil unmount \"Volumes/external_disc"
See the problem? You've started putting quotation marks around the volume name but didn't put a closing one. You've also forgotten to put a forward slash before Volumes.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Mark FX

As vansmith has eluded too, you have three quotation marks, and also
a backslash before Volumes, that should be a forward slash.

Try something like this.

Code:
set myVolume to "bob"
do shell script "diskutil unmount /Volumes/" & myVolume
Regards Mark
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The backslash before the second quotation mark may be there on purpose though if he's trying to escape it so as to put the volume path in quotation marks (perhaps the volume name has a space?).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Mark FX

That's possible, but he still needs to have forward slash in front of Volumes, to indicate
its off of the root path.
Also I suspect he is building his bob variable as a alias HFS type path, instead of a POSIX
style path, but we'll see.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to get Darwin kernel source? | Xcode Tutorial »